What should I upgrade?

Hello,

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 2,6 GHZ
8GB DDR3 1333mhz
Radeon Sapphire 6670 HD 2GB
M5A78L-M LX3
Dual monitor

What do I need to upgrade in order to do some complex scenes in Unreal Engine 4? I am guessing the processor is kind of outdated, but would it work if I overclock it a bit? And also is the graphics card fine or would I need an upgrade?

Thanks.

You should try it out with your existing system and see where your bottleneck are. Maybe it will perform ok for you.

The GPU would be a mandatory upgrade, it’s well below the minimum requirement. The CPU is enough to run the engine, but it wouldn’t be pleasant once you started creating more complex levels, it would probably need an upgrade too if you’re serious about developing in UE4. You can wait and see though, the GPU is in greater need of replacement. You have enough RAM, as long as you aren’t running a bunch of programs at the same time. Down the line you might want more, but it isn’t a necessity.

Your CPU has a locked multiplier, which means that your only option for overclocking is through the FSB, which only gets you small gains, not a viable alternative compared to upgrading. I don’t know off the top of my head, but I would assume that your motherboard is only a 3+1 phase and not designed to handle the extra current a heavy OC would draw anyways. Epic lists an nVidia GTX 470 as the min GPU right now, you can run the editor with a less powerful card, but I wouldn’t recommend it since you sound like you want to create some graphically impressive scenes.

I just want to work smoothly. Before I had a really bad configuration and when I was working on personal projects it was really annoying, I would get all of the functionality and gameplay done but when it is time to make it all look good, my pc would get down on me and either take slow time to rebuild or not rebuild at all.