What should I program in C++? Engine code flow?

Hi there!

I’ve been searching for the basic classes that are used in the new UE4. They are similar to the old UDK ones, but not sure about the way I should use them. For example, now there is a Game that has a GameMode and a GameState. It seems that GameState is similar to the old GameInfo because I don’t remember where, I saw code overriding the StartMatch() function. The idea is to group or discover which links are the most important to understand the fully game engine flow and how to work with it. (Setup a new GameMode, GameState, how to modify the Camera class that Pawn has a reference for it, is there a DefaultPawnFor() method? Where can I change the way the Pawns are spawned? Can I Instantiate whatever I want and how?)
Everything seems to be blueprint oriented, and that’s because I want to know from people more experienced than me if they could help me to make this introduction a little more softly (and the proper way to think a project with this new UE4).
I’ll continue searching and learning from all the “giant” information monster that came to us.

Thank you to all the people that could lend me a hand.

There’s multiple ways to work with the engine from a scripting perspective, and no one way is the “preferred” way to work with the engine. It mostly comes down to preference, however there’s somethings that are easier to do in blueprints (for example, making a basic “flying” character), and some things that are easier to do in C++ (for example, creating a custom object manager that handles all objects of a given type). You can also combine approaches, using blueprints for artists and designers, with programmers writing the code for custom blueprint nodes and creating custom actors for use with the engine.

If you’re new to the engine, I would actually recommend starting out with blueprints to get a solid idea of how to work within the editor its self. In particular, I would recommend Tom Shannon’s 6-DOF Flying Pawn tutorial on the wiki as a good “getting started” project for working with blue prints.

After that, I would recommend reading Rama’s Entry Level Guide to UE4 C++ if you’re new to C++, or taking a peek at the tutorials and code sections of the wiki for learning material that better suits your current level of skill. There’s even a handy little UE3 to UE4 transition guide which can be found here which will give you a nice high level overview of some of the differences in workflow between UDK and UE4.

From there, it’s pretty much up to you to figure out whether working primarily with C++, primarily with Blueprints, or using both depending on the context is the right approach for you and your project.

You can also use blueprint for prototyping, and then, later, if you like it, code it in c++.

Thank you very much!

All that information is really useful! I’ll take it as a little approach! Thank you again!