What should I know before starting with UE4?

Hello. I tried to search for some answers online or a proper email adress to ask the questions that bother me but I couldn’t fine one so my apologies if this is not the right place to discuss such subject.

I am making some 3d models as a hobby for some years now and recently I decided I might want to try and develop a game. At the moment I am alone on this project and I have no idea if there will be anyone else working on it in the future or not, neither do I know if I will finish it or abandon it halfway if it overwhelms me. I was searching for proper game engine and came across Unreal Engine being the very best in terms of game development. While the payment plans are kind of clear to me I would like to ask some followup questions regarding that matter. As I said above, I’m alone on this project now, I do not have any company/studio that I own or work for. Do I need to register my own company/studio BEFORE I sign up an account for Unreal Engine? I have one account on epic games store now, which seems to be eligible to be used for UE too, but is it possible to have two separate accounts as I don’t want to mix these two parts into one account? If I understood correctly for my use I should choose “Publishing License”? Please correct me if I am wrong here. If I get the proper license but the game is not released/finished yet but I would want to “release” an open/closed alpha or beta version of it for limited community for free would it be any violation to the license? What about some gameplay videos/screenshots of current state of the game, will I be able to post them on instagram/fb/any other website with no license violation? Is there any given time that I have to finish my game if I decide to use UE? From what I understood if my game won’t be making much money, lets say 100k$ quarterly then I won’t be charged with that 5% fee for using your engine, right? I know some of these questions might seem naive or even stupid but I just want to get to know all I can before I get into it and get into possible trouble. I am young, unexperienced and kind of afraid of any financial/legal consequences if I do something violating the license. Also a question regarding UE capabilities and recommended game genre. Is this engine good for RTS game? If so and if my dream will come true and I will be able to finish it would it also be possible to place it in epic games store (not exclusively)? I would love to get answers at least to some of these questions before I make any decision. Thank you in advance for any support. Please excuse me if what I wrote is hard to understand, English is not my first language.

With all the regards, Krzysztof.

Please excuse me if what I wrote is
hard to understand, English is not my
first language.

No issues here bar the wall of text :wink:

I’ll answer what I can while you wait but it’s not definitive; if you wait long enough, an official may decide to chip in.

Do I need to register my own
company/studio BEFORE I sign up an
account for Unreal Engine?

No.

I have one account on epic games store
now, which seems to be eligible to be
used for UE too, but is it possible to
have two separate accounts as I don’t
want to mix these two parts into one
account?

I don’t know but I want to say it’s ok.

If I understood correctly for my use I
should choose “Publishing License”?

Yes, games fall into the iterative, non-linear media category. The creative licence is for linear media, movies, presentations, demos.

If I get the proper license but the
game is not released/finished yet but
I would want to “release” an
open/closed alpha or beta version of
it for limited community for free
would it be any violation to the
license?

No, it would not.

Is there any given time that I have to
finish my game if I decide to use UE?

No.

From what I understood if my game
won’t be making much money, lets say
100k$ quarterly then I won’t be
charged with that 5% fee for using
your engine, right?

This has changed very recently:

This license is free to use; a 5% royalty is due only when you monetize your game or other interactive off-the-shelf product and your gross revenues from that product exceed $1,000,000 USD. In other words, the first $50k of royalties that you would have otherwise owed are on us!

and:

If I release two games and they each make $600K in revenue, what do I owe Epic?
Nothing.

Also a question regarding UE
capabilities and recommended game
genre. Is this engine good for RTS
game?

The engine is somewhat geared towards first/third person games but any type of game can be made - several templates are provided. There is even an RTS - style project that can be taken apart and reverse engineered - worth looking into!

If so and if my dream will come true
and I will be able to finish it would
it also be possible to place it in
epic games store (not exclusively)?

Check for answers here: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/about