What should be the use of Blueprints?

Hello,

I am kinda new in Unreal Engine, but from the time I started with it I said to myself that I would only use C++ (Because I work as a C++ programmer).

But, as the deeper I go into Unreal I find that a lot of systems are made to be in blueprints.
I talk about Animations, behaviour trees, etc.

Am I wrong the way I do the things in Unreal?

Should I instead of doing everything in C++, create BP children of the classes and try.
Expose functions, upropertys, and make main flow of the class in Blueprints?

These questions are because I am starting using GAS, so the part of the initialization of GAS is C++ but at the moment you have the system, it looks like it was made to expose the abilities and all the stuff to blueprints because is faster to play animation montages and apply ability effects in Blueprints.

TDLR:
Is it better to just make the functionality in C++, expose methods and uproperties, and then, work with blueprints. Instead of doing everything in C++?

1 Like

Yes even for a C++ programmer it makes sense to do some things in Blueprint like behavior trees and Animation flow or Asset references in Data Only Blueprints (Blueprints without any logic/nodes).

How you mix and match C++ and Blueprint logic depends mostly on the stage of development as Blueprint is quicker in the prototype/learning phase while C++ is faster and easier to iterate/debug in the final phase.