What should be size of textures?

i am making a game but memory is my problem, and the fps is like 30 where almost nothing there on the scene. i tried with my co worker computer(very high machine) and the result is same.20-30 fps. I look at the statistics and metahuman textures are 8K the others are 4K.
I watched a video about optimizing and she says lower the normal maps and keep high on the base. Should i do normal maps like 1024*1024 and bases are 4k? my co workers said give me a plan so i can export it healty here(they are doing the meshes and textures). But i don’t know what to say. I looked at the forums but i didn’t get the answers i wan’t. What should be the resulition for a game and for memory performance. Thanks for all the answers.

I use the metahumans on medium 4k and they look good.
you can also delete the some other LODs to save texture space
8k isn’t really necessary unless you are going to zoom in on their pores

You could try looking at the “windwalker echo” project
she is a metahuman and works pretty quick.

or the “slay” sample.

It depends on how many different characters you’re wanting in your levels.

The best way to reduce is just to try and check the results - I built a quick menu option into one of my tools (linked below) that allows quick and easy changing of the LOD Bias - that changes the size of the textures used in-game while retaining the full size on disk. It’s easy just to select all the normals (or whatever map you’re testing) and set to a different bias and then check what it looks like in your level. It’s true - you can set a lot of normal maps down to 1024x1024 without loosing too much clarity - it’s the same with roughness, metallic and even opacity. Sometimes reducing the diffuse more than the normal gives better results - you just have to test each different case.