What is the scalability of a packaged a packaged project

Hey, I was wondering what scalability settings are used for a packeged project (what scalability setting will be used by default when I run the built game). Does it use my editor scalability settings at the time of packaging?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it defaults to Epic and downscales depending on the hardware.

It’s good to give the end user control via a menu.

1 Like

Hey there @Strawboie! Welcome to the community! Clockwork got it right, it defaults to Epic for PC/Mac targets. Mobile is a bit different and usually defaults to low or medium in my experience. If you’d like to adjust the scalability in game you can use the Set Overall Scalability Level node, but it doesn’t work in editor, only in builds so hard to test it originally. I use this little BP in test scenes to see how it would look in the final between 0 (low) and 3 (epic).

Though as clockwork said, it’s always best to have a menu in a true final build. There’s also the benchmarking node but it’s sometimes inconsistent if run during a game.

3 Likes

Thanks! So is there automatic downscaling?

Yes.

1 Like

Will setting the scalability manually disable this? And is there another way to disable it?

Why would you want to disable it?

Just to make sure it looks the same on different systems, my requirements aren’t that high anyway

Here at the bottom of this documentation shows you how to set the default scalability:

1 Like

And setting the level manually like this would disable the automatic downscaling, right?

You got it! It should allow you to set the scalability and the down-sampling is a part of the scalability. This way you can decide which fidelity you’d prefer it to be by default. Though I’m not sure if it disables the automatic scalability shift that occurs if the device can’t keep up.

1 Like