What is the difference between Block and Overlap?

For that matter what are BLOCKING and OVERLAPPING? They seem the exact same to me. A collision happens. I bought a $50 Unreal Physics book, Want to hear it’s recursive definition of ‘Block’?

“Block All: This collision preset causes all the collisions with the associated component to result in a block all.”

WTF is that?!?!? $50 for that? I bet the next page will say:

“Overlap All: This collision preset causes all the collisions with the associated component to result in an Overlap.”

(oh no, I had to check, the only different word from above is they say ‘generate’ an overlap. HAHAHAAH LLOLOLOL Wow,. I did not want to be right.

Like the Dad from Beetlejuice says: “This reads like Stereo Instructions!”

Is there even a difference in the outcome of Block and Overlap? See, because BLOCK sounds to me like it will BLOCK something that collides with it, BUT THAT IS WHAT OVERLAP DOES!!! I use Overlap in the game I am shelving because I couldn’t get any answers or help here or the Forum, or Discourse, ETC. (also with a tiny physics problem, my character stops suddenly upon collision, but NO ONE seems to know what to do or is willing to help!).

Why is there no PHYSICS Category here?

1 Like

Block - will physically block the component and trigger hit event

Overlap - won’t block the component and it allow to overlap, still it will trigger overlap events, “generate overlap” means generation of overlap event as the object still goes thru collision process

Ignore - It will also overlap but it won’t trigger the collision processing at all and there for no event will rise

Maybe problem is else where like wrong collision channel. What is you case and how it is configured on bogh character and whatever it hit and suppose to overlap?

4 Likes

And this:

Thanks!! I am just trying to get a Zero-G character to bounce or slide against a wall (just with the most basic physics possible,…like a thrown ball does, BOUNCE! Instead, when I hit a wall, it just STOPS instantly in place, completely unusable,…

I have asked for help weekly at 5 forums 62 days now, I am no closer to understanding how to make a character ‘bounce’ - in 3ds Max and in Unity it would be a Check box :slight_smile: LOL.

Oh well. I think my game is dead,… 4th shelving this year. I have lost all hope in everything…

Thanks for the reply…