What is the definition of a team that can share assets?

I make a game using the assets I bought in the marketplace. I want to recruit development members online, but I don’t know if I can share assets.

I understand that this question is related to EULA’s “Distributions to employees and contractors”, but since we are not employees of the company, I don’t know if a group of individuals falls into this category.

Can online members gathered for a project share assets for that project? Also, in this case, I’m asking if I can share my assets. Is it possible for each member to bring in assets that they purchased individually for this project?

Thank you.

1 Like

You are generally not permitted to share marketplace assets. An exception to this is employees and contractors that are genuinely building a project on your behalf:

You also may Distribute Content to an Engine Licensee who is your employee or your contractor regardless of whether they have rights under their license to the same Content, but only to permit that Engine Licensee to utilize that Content in good faith to develop a Product on your behalf for Distribution by you under the License, and not for the purpose of Content pooling or any other Distribution or sublicensing of Content that is not permitted under this Agreement. Recipients of such a Distribution have a limited license to use, reproduce, display, perform, and modify that Content to develop your Product as outlined above, and for no other purpose.

1 Like

What is the definition of employees and contractors that are genuinely building a project on my behalf?

Should I prepare a corporation? Do I need an employment contract?

I think there are cases like the following, but do all of these cases violate the contract?

・ Indie game development team (not company) to share assets with UE4 project to create the same game.

・ When sharing assets with UE4 projects to create the same game in cooperation with friends, brothers or wives.

・ School students share assets with UE4 project to create the same game with teams outside class

・When sharing a asset with UE4 project by teaming up to participate in game jam

You don’t need to form a corporation, as the members can be treated as contractors. It is generally a good idea to have agreements with each of your contractors that set forth your relationship. In addition, each individual member must be a licensee, i.e., have accepted the UE4 EULA independently. However, in order to share marketplace content, members must be working on a project on behalf of one licensee. In other words, the project will be released under one member’s license. None of your examples are violations of the EULA provided that the foregoing is true.

1 Like

Thanks to you, the problem was solved.

Make sure that your team does not violate the rules by developing guidelines.

What is the source of this?