What is the best way to learn unreal engine c++ programming

Hi, so I have bought a course on Udemy already on unreal engine c++ developer…but I actually had a question that how do I learn about everything like all the functions or all the things we can do in unreal using programming because you see the unreal documentation is not very good… also please share resources related to the learning and tell me how did you people learn unreal when it first came out…in short, my problem is when I watch a tutorial on youtube I can’t actually be sure that they are telling me everything so I want to know from you people that is there a book, article, course, etc., etc that will teach me everything related to programming in the unreal engine and by that I mean animations in c++, input in c++ and all the functions, etc.etc…Thanks in advance.

“All the things” is far too many to address, the engine is so vast that nobody is an expert on every aspect of it.

I can’t speak much to animation, but if you’re really interested in using C++ then I would recommend finding a book or course on Object Oriented Programming (OOP) using C++ . Once you wrap your head around that, then you can start learning engine-specific features like UFUNCTIONs and UPROPERTYs.
At that point, try programming things. You might also consider looking through the code in the Starter Projects, or finding some projects on the Marketplace and taking them apart to see how they work.
Don’t neglect the documentation-- even if it’s not complete, there is still a lot of great info there.
Embrace the built-in engine features. For example, there’s a built-in animation state machine, no need to build your own. And there are a LOT of built-in tools.
One of the other great things about the engine is that it’s open-source. Read through the source code. Just skimming the header files will give you a great idea of what’s easily doable with the engine and what might take some more work.

a newbie here myself, and I also found it hard at the start, not because the documentation is lacking but because a lot of the tutorials are out dated, but there is a work around :

if you open each template in the engine : first person / third person / side scroller etc … in c++ mode, then copy all the cpp and h files over to text files on your drive, that will give you 100% accurate examples of c++ that actually are “working” for the current version, using that as an example u can compare to tutorials that are outdated and get them working fairly easily, it doesn’t have every example in these templates but there is enough there to get you “Started”.

and if u combine these templates with the documentation, that will bring the documentation together, since now you have some “working” examples to compare to, the documentation becomes a lot more useful.

another reason to copy the c++/h files over to your drive is so u don’t have to wait 5mins for the engine to load the example each time, if their on your drive, it only only take 4/5 seconds to open the code vs 5mins.

the documentation isn’t bad, but learning to navigate it can be difficult, I will show you a spot in the documentation that’s pretty deep, but has been very helpful with customizing my projects :

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…ent/index.html

I suggest learning to navigate to the base of the engine from this page, once u can, that should solve a lot of your issues in finding what your looking for to learn from.

also I found a good tutorial dude on youtube, that does c++ tutorials, and is very good at teaching :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1…9LkFRKA/videos

I am still using this guys tutorials to learn blueprints and c++

in this video series, he teaches how to combine blueprints and c++ together in the same project, starting from a blank project, very useful for newbies like myself :

hope this stuff helps.

also if u need more help, feel free to send me a private message, I will help as much as I can :slight_smile:

God Bless you. May Jesus Christ be Charitable unto you.

Acts 10 : 33 - 48, google it, its Awesome.

Not gonna lie, I’ve worked with unreal engine for a while. If you look at my history of threads, it took alot for me to get where I’m at today. First I’d start off by learning straight C++ and just get the basics down. Whether that be following a tutorial on youtube, maybe buying a UDEMY course, maybe following a text tutorial aka wikipedia, cplusplus.com etc. Next, practice. Things are going to get hard references and pointers are hard. A lot of people get stuck on them. I sure did. But you will get through it. Create small projects, small games that revolve around the task that you want to achieve. I think I’ve created replicated sprinting and dodge rolling about 5-6 times at this point. Each getting better and better every time. With all of this being said, don’t get too much into the following:

1. Following too many tutorials. Use your brain, try to figure it out yourself. It sounds contradicting but if you figure it out yourself, its more rewarding and you’ll also learn from your mistakes. Use tutorials as a guide to get you where you want to go, if you mindlessly just copy code sure it’ll work but you wont understand it! (big mistake i did)

2. Don’t think just because the code works, you’re done. It can always be better. There’s always some type of bug somewhere!

3. Hypocrite here, but forums are great! It’s great to ask questions and learn, but its also bad if you rely on it too much like I did and have people write out code for you. Take time to research and understand things. Understand, the engine.

Finally, I’d like to add that I personally feel like programming knowledge is universally the same. Passing data, functions, references, etc. I think what helped me out a lot was taking some time off of c++ if i was trying to figure something out there and work on another program with Swiftui or java etc. Programming is theoretically a language so it all can eventually tie into each other right? :slight_smile: It has some what to a degree allowed me to understand or figure out what I was stuck on in C++ and vice versa.

Anyway those are my tips! God speed young lad. And do not give up!

EDIT: Saw you already bought UDEMY. You’re stuck on things like animations in c++, and input in c++. You need to take a look at this 2.3 - Implementing Character Movement Functions | Unreal Engine Documentation. Create it over and over again until you can actually understand it and can make one on your own. Many people think programming in general is memorized and people just start programming as soon as they sit down. ITS NOT lol. Thats too much info! you’d have to be a God to memorize every function. We just know the basics of how to create something we want and then we look up the API of the functions we need if we dont remember them and we get to work.