What is Ortho Projection

Stupid question, but what is Ortho projection and how do I use it in CR? I do 3D scans mostly of people and wondering if this will help.

Thanks

Hi Scotth
There is no stupid question :slight_smile:

An ortho projection is used to get 2D representation of 3D models for creating CAD models and so on. There is very little use for full-body scanning, except exporting a front view of the model as an image without any distortion.

scotth wrote:

Stupid question, but what is Ortho projection and how do I use it in CR? I do 3D scans mostly of people and wondering if this will help.

Thanks

Hello Scotth,
actually, the correct term is ortographic projection: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthographic_projection

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I was wondering if it’s possible to create an orthographic projection without first creating a 3D model? So basically just stitching together the aerial photos. 

I don’t like the current workflow because the 3D model will no always be perfect (like holes under trees for example). 

hello Tomas,

RealityCapture creates projections from a 3D model

Hello Lucia,

Thank you for your reply. 

That’s a bummer! Those projections would be so much cleaner (and faster to process) if they weren’t being made from the 3D model.