What is better? VsCode VsCommunity or QtCreator

Hi I am wondering what IDE to use and what the differences actually are, which one is easier to set-up without configuring tons of things? and in everyday use, which one is nicer to use for UE and why?

Currently I’m using QT creator to develop gui c++ apps but I think this IDE would be extremely hard to use and setup based on what I read on the forums here so far.

Even though I know some C/C++/Java I’m still pretty much a noob.

Rider for Unreal is by far the best IDE for Unreal Engine in my opinion. Nothing comes close.

2 Likes

From my experience I’ve tried VS code and visual studio, I’ve been using VS studio community for a long time and it’s nice however in my opinion you really need visual assist to have a good time, I’m experiencing at the moment with visual studio 2022 preview without visual assist and so far the experience is being good so I’d say give it a try.

Recently I’ve been trying visual code and I’ve had a really good experience, VS code is not and IDE however it has some plugins that can come close to that. I really liked how fast I can load a project, overall it feels snappy and responsive.

In terms of UE4 VS code is supported and the engine can generate the necessary files, there are a couple plugins you should install to help with UE4, for example Unreal Engine 4 snippets.

1 Like

VS Community is still much better choice than VSCode.

While I like VSCode much better than the Visual Studio, which is very slow, clunky and bloated, the VSCode support for UE4 out of the box experience is constantly broken, and requires many manual fixes which change with almost every single UE4 release. And even once you get things fixed up, they never work as reliably and consistently as with Visual Studio.

Especially if you are a noob, then your choice should be between Visual Studio or Rider for UE. VSCode support, for now, unfortunately, is only for someone who is familiar with Unreal’s complex project and build system, and knows how to fix it up when something goes wrong.

1 Like

Visual Studio 2022 is 64bits so it really isn’t that slow anymore.

After got Visual Assist X working on it, I’m satisfied.

Visual Studio best choice if you are beginer. If you know whats libraries you need for your project VS Code will be better

1 Like

The last time I tried visual assist on Visual studio 2022 it caused it to hang and not respond, was that something you experienced as well ?

1 Like

You have to disable the PerfWatson2 process.
Then it works.

1 Like

Gotcha, I appreciate it.

I’ve used VSCode and VSCommunity.

I find VSCommunity unusable. It feels unresponsive and bloated. Also, I don’t like how it looks.

I like to use VSCode with the C/C++ extension and with the UE4 Intellisense Fixer extension (you can search for this in your favorite search engine).

2 Likes

I ended up using VSCommunity and the autocomplete/intellisense takes about 10 seconds to suggest anything, it also takes a long time to remove the red underlines from perfectly good code.

I searched the forum here and found instructions that might fix it, I have not tried this yet:

Another problem I am having is that it doesn’t seem to recognize everything for unreal, things like “UCLASS” are not suggested at all. Is there a way to fix that problem too?

I use Rider for Unreal Engine for programming, and Visual Studio for deep debugging (where Rider falls short).

The speed and pure bliss of using Rider over VS (not tried VS2022, as we are still on UE4.25), but its night and day above VS for speed and stability.

Sorry I wouldn’t know how to fix that problem.

I will say that with my current set-up (VS Code with the extensions I mentioned) I don’t get any squiggles where they shouldn’t be. Also, looking up definitions is super easy. I just highlight the class/function/etc. , press F12 on my keyboard and I get a new tab in VSCode with the definition I’m looking for.

imo, i use VS for pretty much everything, I switch to Rider when I’m trying to do a query like “Which classes are subclasses of this one”, which is absolutely mindboggling that literally no editor I have found in modern history has, nor “search all subclasses (or superclasses) of this one”.

1 Like

I use Jetbrains Rider for Unreal Engine. It is the best IDE I have ever used. I’m definitely gonna buy when it comes out of beta.
Before Rider, I mainly used Visual Studio 2019, but it is too slow for me.

I’ve messed around with VSCode but unless I’m missing something, I think your VSCode project has to be set up very specifically otherwise Intellisense won’t look into the engine’s headers.

I remember Visual Studio for Mac actually being pretty good. It was like a lighter version of normal Visual Studio but still had all the good stuff.

1 Like