What is a persistent level?

Heeeyo!
What is a Persistent Level? I watched a few tutorials, but the base concept of PL is lost to me.
When I load up Unreal, and create a few Maps, I see them listed under the PL. I know I can load and unload, but what is that really doing?
Can I have multiple PLs? Is it like Photoshop, where there are layers? Are Maps just layers in a PL?

I see some people making a Menu map, then loading/starting the game, is this a sublevel that just gets the “eyeball”- visibility, turned off?

I’m prototyping a game that has a Menu, the Game Level, and a Inventory Menu -where the player can customize their weapon. Are these all different PL, or are these Sublevels, or a mix of both?

Thanks,

• Nick

This should Help

Excellent question. Is the persistent level that one which other levels (maps, sub-levels) derive from initially, even if it’s not the 1st level in a game? or is it a term denoting the entirety of all levels in a game / world? something else, or a combination of aspects of those?

Good question, and glad I stumbled to this post. Unfortunately however, I’m not sure UE’s documentation really answers the above question: ok so we know a bit more about handling levels in the menu, creating, splitting, moving actors etc.
But what is the exact purpose here? So for example, I have two Levels in my project right now, but when I click on Windows->Levels, I see the Persistent Level in bold (which means it’s the current I guess), but nothing else. What should I do? Add my two levels I created as sub-levels? Or what? I fail to understand the reasoning, the functionality and purpose. Any insights appreciated!