what if bought marketplace content isnt developed any further and the author refuses to call back

[=;690829]
These nodes are not hidden, they are implemented in c++ and you can check their implementation in UE4 source code. Just need to install visual and include source code in UE4 installation.
[/]

You’re literally contradicting to yourself. Without source code you can use this node. That’s the point. And you can use this node at every version.

The problem you all are talking about is just in switch engine version. if EG have a source code, if they released new version they can easily repair any MP plugin. But I also understand there is much more efforts and they have to take much more than 30% then.

I thought MP is a place for polished and finished products. But seems like a lot of people buy things to reverse engineering or education. Imagine I’m buying a PLC module to update its firmware if my IDE stops support it after a while.:smiley:

[=Two-faced;690880]
You’re literally contradicting to yourself. Without source code you can use this node. That’s the point. And you can use this node at every version.
[/]

Engine source code is not the same as Plugin source code, the reason it works on every version is because Epic provide the compiled Engine free, a Plugin still needs to be compiled for that version to see an associated Blueprint node if its not Engine level.

If you’re so concerned with trade secrets though I would recommend not selling at all, compiled code can be reverse engineered too with the right know how so there isnt really much of a black box. Thats how I see it though is if your competitive advantage in the form of algorithms is so important its in your best interest to keep it inhouse and this is probably why some AAA studios opt to use inhouse tech over Unreal Engine :cool:

[=MonsOlympus;690896]
Engine source code is not the same as Plugin source code, the reason it works on every version is because Epic provide the compiled Engine free, a Plugin still needs to be compiled for that version to see an associated Blueprint node if its not Engine level.

If you’re so concerned with trade secrets though I would recommend not selling at all, compiled code can be reverse engineered too with the right know how so there isnt really much of a black box. Thats how I see it though is if your competitive advantage in the form of algorithms is so important its in your best interest to keep it inhouse and this is probably why some AAA studios opt to use inhouse tech over Unreal Engine :cool:
[/]

I always thought source code and plugin code are using the same classes and environment) You won’t RE if it costs more than price on marketplace. And this is my only concern. Why do you need to buy stuff that is already known to you through public source code?

[=Two-faced;690880]

The problem you all are talking about is just in switch engine version. if EG have a source code, if they released new version they can easily repair any MP plugin. But I also understand there is much more efforts and they have to take much more than 30% then.

[/]

…this node is part of UE4, it’s not an external plugin code. It works only in versions where it exists in the source code of the engine and when it actually works in specific version (even Epic’s code brakes here and there from version to version).

Not sure what confusion is about - you can produce binaries and don’t include source code of your plugin if Epic allows you to do so, normally they don’t. Users need to compile plugins with source code themselves before they can use it, as Epic doesn’t normally allows binaries. For user to use plugin without source code, you need to produce all variations of binaries, for all supported platforms, again if Epic allows it in your specific case. You can use gumroad to sell plugin without source, no-one prevents you from doing so.

[=Two-faced;690880]
I thought MP is a place for polished and finished products. But seems like a lot of people buy things to reverse engineering or education. Imagine I’m buying a PLC module to update its firmware if my IDE stops support it after a while.:smiley:
[/]

People buy assets for whatever reason they want. Some will buy for education, some will buy to save time, some will buy because they can’t make it themselves or any other reason. We don’t have statistics on that, so any conclusions are not more than speculations.

Regardless of why they buy it, they can experience different problems with plugins without source code:

• one is just basic delay of how fast asset can be updated, even if creator fixes a bug in 5 minutes after it was reported, it still can take 1-2 weeks or more to get update to marketplace
  • creators can simply disappear, don’t bother updating product, or take full 30 days to transition to new version of engine - as a result, even if there are no issues with transition from version to version itself, without source code no-one (including Epic) is going to re-compile plugin for the user
  • customization, it’s highly unluckily that plugin is made in such a way that it will work as intended for every purpose and won’t require customization for user’s specific project or use-case

For users, it’s important that product is functional, from moment of purchase to a point when project is done. As a result, someone’s know-how might be the least of concerns.

@ yes, we don’t have any statistics. And I hope at least 50% owners of random plugin actually bought one)

[=Two-faced;691038]
@ yes, we don’t have any statistics. And I hope at least 50% owners of random plugin actually bought one)
[/]

So your concern is piracy? Not sure how closed source is suppose to generate extera sales to offset said piracy…

[=Two-faced;690906]
Why do you need to buy stuff that is already known to you through public source code?
[/]

Because writing something like pool mechanism is not a rocket science by itself but takes effort to write it, test it, write documentation, expose necessary functions and BP nodes and maintain. When code is written nicely I don’t have a problem of modding it to my liking and extending if some functions or classes are not there. In case if developer is not there anymore, me and other customers are still able to communicate to each other and collaboratively solve issues if such arise.
Looking at the code of the developer helps me to decide if I want to buy his other products and services in feature, or negotiate a custom piece of work. Good code helps not only me but him too, to maintain and extend it.