What happened to the RPG template?

Hey Epic,

What happened to the RPG template on the roadmap?

Just thought I would ask -

HeadClot

I saw in one of the highlight videos, parts of the RTS template if i wasn’t mistaken. Probably still working on it if i had to guess.

Could you link me?

Well… It’s RPG. Even a simple template project takes a mammoth of time to build; just because it’s about RPG genre.
I never tried to build a RPG game; I don’t even see why ppl want to do it so bad without at least $1 million budget. It’s just an absurd amount of work… And then some want to make it online, even harder… And then there’s the MMO folks :wink:

I just want to make a Single player / Cooperative RPG game. Plain and simple. No MMO. If I ever did an MMO I would do it on a much smaller scale in terms of player count among other things.

I agree that an RPG would require lots of work, any decent game does, however, I have to disagree on $1,000,000 budget minimum simply due to the many varieties of RPG’s. One doesn’t have to try to complete with Square Enix. Remember the good old days of Text-based RPG and Pen & Paper RPG played over a teletype? It would be a breath of fresh air to see another format for RPGs closer to the roots using the UE4 Tech.

Me too. However, I’m not sure how a single RPG Template could be provided to satisfy all the possible sub-systems involved: Stats, SkillTrees, Spell System, Character Customization, Combat Menu, Story Dialog, Command-line Interpreter, etc. Assuming your RPG needs these features. These subsystems could be implemented in so many ways, that a generic implementation would be too complicated or specialized. Perhaps, it would probably be best to build each subsystem as a individual feature, and you add the features you need. I see several developers stepping up to meet the demand in the marketplace.

Even the small RPGs on mobile platforms are working on a scope of around 2 million budget.
Even if you do a simple one, alone, the time you’ll expend to make it will be around that as well. But translated in more time than money; you can’t assume your own work hours are free because it’s not…
And text based RPGs for today’s market is as complicated as a regular title because, to have people’s interest when you publish, you’ll end writing a book the size of Lord of the Rings’ instead of focusing more on graphics. Although there’s really no real market for that genre today.

I would also advise against trying to build a RPG by buying different pieces of systems from other developers and then trying to put them together; That is really not a good idea, not when coding and game systems are involved. Art assets are ok to buy, but when you use pre-built systems and someone has a complex bug and asks for a fix you’ll be catch into a nightmare because your game has someone else’s code/blueprint systems that you in fact have no idea how it works or what’s going on.
IF someone really want to build a RPG and have not much experience developing game systems, wait for the time when something like ORK ( http://orkframework.com ) hits Unreal’s Marketplace and you’ll have greater chances of making your RPG game.
That is a real ‘template’ and (although nobody will ever build a ‘real’ game using that because you know, serious developers don’t need that to build in-game mechanics and they code right in Unity itself) I think if Epic’s template is something like more people will have a better idea of the complexity a well structured RPG game has.

I can understand the concern for Bugs with adding different Blueprints, that risk exists with adding any plugin, upgrading, etc. At least with BP one can view the nodes, step through them, and modify if necessary. I would anticipate most devs having knowledge of blueprints and purchasing with intent to modify to some degree… an RPG Template would require modification. As complex as an RPG can be to develop, I can easily understand different BP Plugins emerging to support. Even a single solution like ORK Framework (which is very nice, btw), would do better as a modular system.

I see the issue for a RPG Template as defining what exactly is going into it. I would narrow it down to Core RPG mechanics: Character Attributes and Skill Trees. As a programmer, I view a Character Attribute, Skill, Ability as a Float Variable. One can add this variable to a Struct that contains variables for Caption Text and Graphic Icon. Store these Structs in a LinkList and you have a Skill Tree, Spell hierarchy, etc.

I’m not sure a RPG Template is required to achieve this or will deal with it in a manner desired. Thus, I elected to script my own RPG Attribute and Skill Tree System. There is a plethora of Tutorials and Examples (not necessarily related to UE4) to help build your RPG subsystems. I drummed this super-duper RPG Attribute BP in about 30mins:

https://arcadekomodo.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Screenshot-2015-03-13-04.16.41-150x150.png

I’m developing a FPS RPG and have modified/replaced 95% of the BP provided in the FPS Template. It was a good place to start with the very very very basics.

is this going to happen ? anybody heard anything ?

Well the reason is the same as to why poeople want make Games, instead of web apps. Beacuse it is interesting. You are welcome to create anothershooter or platformę IF you like them. I love RPG, do Id rather try to make one and fail, rather than doing boring stuff.

Aside from that there is GameplayAbilities module in engine, which let you create attributes, abilities and effects. Which are core building blocks for any RPG ever created. You essentially need nothing more from code side to start implementing game with RPG mechanics. Complexit y in RPGs come from differentlaces, and things like spells, attributes are the easiest ones to tackle. Once you get grasp of are you doing.

I was talking about commercial indie products there; I love RPG too and see no problem investing 10+ years on a hobby project when there’s no urge to release anything :slight_smile: