What got you interested in game development?

Quite simple been playing games for over 26 years and thought it would be fun to get into it myself. Played and seen it all (Atari/commodore/Amiga/sega mega drive/Nintendo/Nintendo 64/playstation/xbox/386/486/DX/CD-i/Phone/Tablet, etc) You could say I have a lot of gaming experience. I’m 32 years young now but still love playing games, it’s cool to have lived through all the generations, going from a cassette (commodore, to the 5¼ inch-> 3½ inch ->) to a cartridge, to a CD or CD-I / DVD / Bluray. To being able to play games on my smartphone and tablet. I can only imagine the things my 3 year old daughter will be playing on/with during her teen years.

I’ve been playing games since I was a child, but in my youth, I was mostly interested in filmmaking. I eventually realized that games offered more immersive storytelling experiences, so I gravitated towards that. Still work on films occasionally though.

I’m 23 and been playing games since the SNES. And I always enjoyed it and had I would play with my toys and pretty much do what I did in the games. And as soon as everything began evolving to what we have now I got the idea of getting into this subject because of the idea of what some SNES games would look like remastered now. And I also decided to pursue this because I think it’s fun being able to create not just a story but an open field, a town, a building just with your imagination. And my strongest position in this is level design now. And it’s exciting seeing what can be made just by thinking it. And to me it’s fun.

I wanted to make games ever since I played Thief 2. I never really thought much about games until I played that game.
I saw that it wasn’t just a ‘game’. It was art. Beautiful art if I do say so myself.
So now I want to make the same things that captivated me. So that it might do the very same to someone else some day.

And possibly teach history through games aswell. You learn much easier while having fun!

There are many tools to simplify the creation of VR applications such as MiddleVR, a VR middleware that enables 3D applications to run on any VR system.

For me the reason was, that i like to be creative and wanted to make a simple fps. But i encountered code and that stuff is so uncreative, if you do not know, how to handle.
I loved the simple, but still fascinating gameplay of games, like Doom 1 or 3D Wolfenstein, or Battle isle 1. So simple and fun.
That was for me fun to play, because of the gameplay, not high res.
Sadly many gamedevs are thinking, that a game is worth to play, with highres models only, and old and rusty cloned gameplaymechanics(like my english ^^).
So many bad games out these days, not worth one single cent, and they are sold well and leaving frustrating users in their path(me for example).
Many ppl want to make millions in the first place, not to have fun with their creation, i do not like that.
I like to have fun, while beeing creative, with the team. No fun = no team.

Yes, loved it and look, what they did to that great game series with “Metal Gear Rising REVENGEANCE”. :frowning:

I started with game development, because I wanted to know if it’s really that difficult to develop a game + how you develop games :slight_smile:
I’m creating my own game, because I want to “tell” stories + entertain people

I started with modest tools like RPG Maker(remember RPG Maker 95?), and stuck with that toolkit for close to a decade. I did span into C++ for a short while, but prefer C# as there is so many useful built in functions, and lists sold me on that.
And now here I am taking a huge leap into Unreal Engine 4 for a 2D RPG similar to those found on the Super Nintendo and NECs PC-Engine.

More of a happy accident. I’d been into gaming since the mid-80 but I never thought about making a career out of it. The military was the only thing I wanted to do. But when I went to college I saw they were offering a course in animation for film. I took it and loved it. However, I realized that no one in the class really cared about the Disney or Pixar stuff the teacher was showing, so I brought in my video game cinematics and that instantly got everyone more interested in games as a career, and frankly, myself as well. From I studied video game design but mostly became a writer for games as a result, working for few indie developers along the way. Right now I mostly do writing, story development, world bibles and dialogue. It is quite rewarding if not very challenging.

An NES and a lot of luck :slight_smile:

Playing the tech demo of ://steamcommunity/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93038122 :slight_smile: