What does 'make visible after load' do if false?

Every search for ‘make visible after load’ takes me to the same documentation page (Loading and Unloading Levels using Blueprints in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation) which doesn’t tell you what that bool actually does and doesn’t do.

My presumption is ‘visible’ is a misnomer, - That Load Stream Level with Make Visible After Load set to False will stream the level into memory, but the level will in no way be active until made “Visible”.

Is this correct?

Ideally I want a sub level in the wings ready to be playable and not have to use the Block function and hitch the game experience.

Thanks!

1 Like

It does exactly what it says, it doesn’t make the level visible until you ask it with set the ShouldBeVisible variable.

I seem to recall you get that by using a reference to the level, pull off that and choose GetStreamingLevel, then the ShouldBeVisible node.

It’s how I do my streaming. Yes, it does mean you can keep the level ‘in the wings’, but I’m not sure if you can do it way in advance ( it might have collision, not sure ).

There is still a very slight hitch, but nothing like when you check the ‘block on load’ check box.

I guess that’s what I’m asking. what does ‘visible’ mean in the context of this node.

Just like we’re saying, just don’t show the level yet…

OK so I played with this some and my assumption is correct; ‘visible’ is a misnomer. The sub level you’re streaming in sits inactive, in limbo, whatever - rather than just not ‘visible’.

Any blueprint level scripting, sfx, etc. that’s in the sub level won’t be initiated/experienced until the level is made ‘visible’.

Hope this answer helps someone else.

2 Likes