What do I even do?

My project won’t launch in a standalone window, and gives me this error:

LogPlayLevel: Excluding config file C:\Users\Caleb\Documents\Unreal Projects\TheMagusOfFlame\Config\DefaultEditorPerProjectUserSettings.ini
LogPlayLevel: Cleaning Stage Directory: C:\Users\Caleb\Documents\Unreal Projects\TheMagusOfFlame\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor
LogPlayLevel: Warning: WARNING: Failed to delete file C:\Users\Caleb\Documents\Unreal Projects\TheMagusOfFlame\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game.exe in 10 attempts.
LogPlayLevel: Warning: WARNING: Exception in mscorlib: Access to the path ‘C:\Users\Caleb\Documents\Unreal Projects\TheMagusOfFlame\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game.exe’ is denied.
LogPlayLevel: Stacktrace: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
LogPlayLevel: at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.SafeDeleteFile(String Path, Boolean bQuiet) in D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Utils.cs:line 100
LogPlayLevel: Error: ERROR: Stage Failed. Failed to delete staging directory C:\Users\Caleb\Documents\Unreal Projects\TheMagusOfFlame\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor
LogPlayLevel: (see C:\Users\Caleb\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.23\Log.txt for full exception trace)
LogPlayLevel: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=102 (Error_FailedToDeleteStagingDirectory)
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Deploy Task, Time: 8.768128
LogPlayLevel: BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults: Error: Launch failed! Failed to delete staging directory. This could be because something is currently using the staging directory (ps4/xbox/etc)
LogSlate: Took 0.000125 seconds to synchronously load lazily loaded font ‘…/…/…/Engine/Content/Slate/Fonts/DroidSansMono.ttf’ (77K)

Looks like a permission issue or that you already have something open using the .exe

Yeah, it happened after I changed a lighting setting in the project settings, and it wanted me to restart the editor. Playing in a separate window or as a standalone works, but not the launch button. I do have admin privileges though.

Update, it won’t let me package the project either, for the same reason.

see C:\Users\Caleb\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.23\Log.txt for full exception trace

Also
LogPlayLevel: Warning: WARNING: Failed to delete file C:\Users\Caleb\Documents\Unreal Projects\TheMagusOfFlame\Saved\StagedBuilds\WindowsNoEditor\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game.exe in 10 attempts

Start the editor in administrator mode?

Yeah, I actually just was about to try that. Realized Unreal itself was not running as admin.

That fixed it, thanks :slight_smile: