What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Id like to see setting up a classic fps game like doom duke3d turok Quake and the like.

i am making network game, so do you want to jion us .please connect with me, my skype is shrodinger1900

It would be really nice to see a tutorial or guide in setting up the new EOS subsystem for a multiplayer game. One maybe managing dedicated servers and such. A webinar or a series of tutorials would be amazing. Anyways thank you guys for such amazing content!

Hi guys! Optimization guides are strongly needed! (imho :slight_smile:

• Digital Human
  • Advanced AI samples

I Started a tutorial UE4 advanced blueprints channel on youtube: check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZ…kbpOgkDZG1YQmg
To sum up from the newest posts - what you would like to see is:

1. Multiplayer tutorials
  2. Multiplayer session control (a deep dive into controller, game state, game mode etc)
  3. Fast-pace classic shooter
  4. Advanced animation techniques (already partially covered!)
  5. next-gen graphics, shaders
  6. Working with endgame characters instead of mannequins

If anyone would like to add to it? I will be more than glad to cover those topics.

So I may well be the only person who wants this, but here’s what I do want.

I’m an experienced non-game programmer. I want to make a game, so I’m looking at engines to evaluate whether they meet my needs. I don’t want to waste too much time talking about my game ideas, so let’s just say it’s somewhere between a clone of A Link To The Past and a twin-stick shooter.

Looking through the documentation, I find this:

which looks like instructions for doing something like what I want, but in your visual scripting language blueprints thing. This is not what I want. I’m a programmer, and I’d prefer to actually write code (or config files, or code that generates config files). It’s also not downloadable & runnable. I’d like to be able to just pull a copy of the sample project, build it (maybe I’d need to download your SDK first, sign something, etc) and run it. Then I could fool around with it and learn things myself (it’s also really important to have simple sample projects for developers to verify that their development environments are set up correctly).

I also found this:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/onlinelearning-courses/twin-stick-shooter-with-blueprints

Which looked promising, but then I realized it wasn’t quite what I was looking for. For one, it was “primarily blueprints” which I gather is your visual editor thing, and a “small amount of C++.” Now, I hate C++ as much as any self-respecting programmer, but still, this is definitely not a programming-focused example. Second, it asks me to sign up for the course, when I just wanted to download the project and run it. I don’t want to sign up for a course. I don’t want to hear this character explain things to me. I’d rather just get a (buildable & with build instructions) copy of the project along with a written description of the salient points of how it works. The actual learning part comes not when I follow direction, but when I say “okay, but what if I want to change it to [some idea of my own which isn’t explained]?”

Overall, there seems to be a lot of information available for people who don’t want to do programming and are afraid of diving into the code and documentation. I suppose you have to service that market too, but it does seem like I should be a lot easier to please, and I’m not getting what I want. I’d have thought that Unreal would be a good engine for me to use, but so far I have no idea whether it’s something I can adapt to my needs or not.

So I may well be the only person who wants this, but here’s what I do want.

I’m an experienced non-game programmer. I want to make a game, so I’m looking at engines to evaluate whether they meet my needs. I don’t want to waste too much time talking about my game ideas, so let’s just say it’s somewhere between a clone of A Link To The Past and a twin-stick shooter.

Looking through the documentation, I find this:

which looks like instructions for doing something like what I want, but in your visual scripting language blueprints thing. This is not what I want. I’m a programmer, and I’d prefer to actually write code (or config files, or code that generates config files). It’s also not downloadable & runnable. I’d like to be able to just pull a copy of the sample project, build it (maybe I’d need to download your SDK first, sign something, etc) and run it. Then I could fool around with it and learn things myself (it’s also really important to have simple sample projects for developers to verify that their development environments are set up correctly).

I also found this:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/onlinelearning-courses/twin-stick-shooter-with-blueprints

Which looked promising, but then I realized it wasn’t quite what I was looking for. For one, it was “primarily blueprints” which I gather is your visual editor thing, and a “small amount of C++.” Now, I hate C++ as much as any self-respecting programmer, but still, this is definitely not a programming-focused example. Second, it asks me to sign up for the course, when I just wanted to download the project and run it. I don’t want to sign up for a course. I don’t want to hear this character explain things to me. I’d rather just get a (buildable & with build instructions) copy of the project along with a written description of the salient points of how it works. The actual learning part comes not when I follow direction, but when I say “okay, but what if I want to change it to [some idea of my own which isn’t explained]?”

Overall, there seems to be a lot of information available for people who don’t want to do programming and are afraid of diving into the code and documentation. I suppose you have to service that market too, but it does seem like I should be a lot easier to please, and I’m not getting what I want. I’d have thought that Unreal would be a good engine for me to use, but so far I have no idea whether it’s something I can adapt to my needs or not.
[/QUOTE]

This is great input. Thanks for this thoughtful response. We are evaluating our roadmaps for 2021 and I’ll add this to the commentary on it.

I don’t have a short term answer at the moment. But hopefully we can get some like this addressed.

Thanks,

I think you guys should really consider putting together a video on working with auto exposure. The average non-photographer doesn’t understand exposure at all, much less why auto-exposure is used in games. Worse yet, when auto-exposure is producing undesirable results, rather than instruct people on how to fix it, most of the community instructs them to just disable it. Which just creates further problems down the line when the user goes to try to light their scene.

It seems like multiple times a week someone comes to the rendering subforum and asks why their scene is pitch black indoors, why their screen goes white sometimes, why they have to use ridiculously high intensities to get their lights to show up indoors, etc., etc., etc. Pretty much all can be attributed to them deciding at some point to disable auto exposure and not manually adjust their exposure when the light changes.

I feel like a guided explanation of what exposure is and why it’s necessary, what the benefits of auto-exposure are, and a workflow to adjusting the settings to get the best results out of auto-exposure would be really valuable to the community in general.

1 Like

Still having problems finding a GAMING TUTORIAL on youtube. Lots out there but they are not teaching us newbies how to make a game. Instead we get how to use the UI. Or instruction far more complex than we can handle.

I don’t want a four hour video on lighting and LODs entitled “Beginner Tutorial.” I do not want a how to open tabs and dock bays “Beginner Tutorial on Game Making.” I do not want a four hour discussion on impressive Unreal cinematics in a youtube vid entitle “New Beginner Course How To Create Your Own Game!”

Just give me a step-by-step follow along where we make a game!

I don’t want to line furniture in a row.
I don’t want to play with my lods all day.
I don’t want to download pretty sports cars.
I don’t want any more empty bla bla blab coming from your mouths disguised as a beginner guide.

JUST MAKE A GAME AND HAVE US FOLLOW ALONG AS YOU DO IT
Use youtube don’t hide it here in Unreal forums no one looks at.

Better basic instruction on Sequencer (including the different edit modes within sequencer)

Better coverage of composure and similar tools

Existing Sequencer and Composure training videos lose focus on the subject matter itself and get sidetracked by complicated setups and minor issues before the basics are covered.

Toolmaking - How to make Blueprint widgets, plugins, C++ extensions. I know these are more niche but they’re sorely lacking.

C++ for Unreal for people who already know C++. Most Unreal C++ are focused on learning C++ and making a game in C++. Condensed video on how to use C++ with Unreal framework, blueprint macros, basic Unreal API, etc would be useful.

nDisplay - Nothing exists in the learning portal really. There are documents but Youtube only source of videos and those aren’t exactly instruction style.

Thinking, designing, and problem-solving videos.
Most of the current videos focus on completing a specific task in a specific situation. What would be great are some on how to approach a problem and how to solve it. How to design a game structure (object design, communication, etc).

When faced with the need to make a new specialized material what are the key things to consider? When to use specific material properties? What are the different approaches and pros/cons?

Same with blueprints. You’re given a totally new and different problem. How would an Unreal engineer approach the problem, especially if they didn’t have the list of blueprint functions memorized or if it’s a new blueprint library. Example: Matt Workman live videos where he’s trying to design a blueprint. Something more like that which is condensed and more focused. The process of thinking of the problem, debugging, testing, trying to find out what functions are available and how to get reference documentation. What are the tricks used by pros to get there faster rather than flailing around?

I wish I can find the archived training courses.

I am now looking for Unreal Engine Training 2020 https://cdn2-unrealengine-1251447533.file.myqcloud.com/training-fall2020-noappendicesv4-adfd1cc70381.pdf.

I missed some classes due to the enrollment limitations. The box link I got is like https://epicgames.ent.box.com/s/yxxucsu1ui1spb1xuais6z8wg4u6rq59. Really want the full class archives.

1 Like

I’m currently working through tutorials and first two I’ve done with downloadable content, both are out of date written for an older version of UE and the content does not match up with what the tutorial is explaining, unless you are willing to update them yourself, which depending on your XP level maybe workable or maybe not. For example:

• Landscape Essential Concepts: Epic Games
    For this one there is not even a project included with the download so you have to make your own. I can do that, I matched up the textures to the appropriate materials, but for learning and a tutorial that does not seem ideal imo.

• Indepth Look at Enivronmental Artist based tools:** Epic Games
    This course has you building master materials, but what you are presented with is the final material, so again, you have to reconstruct the material so it matches with what the tutorial is showing you. Again I could handle that but I imagine some people will be confused. Especially when the author discusses a masked texture and it’s not included in package. (Instead I worked with the channel packed texture which was there, and can be used for the first part with just a simple mased texture.

Thirdly these two projects say supported for UEv4,62 which is getting close to ancient history. And besides it’s not that hard to transfer the contents over to a V4.72 project I created, but if someone is new enough, my guess no one starting out wants to install 4.62 and they may not be comfortable trying to construct a 4.72 or 5.0 project and throwing it all together. I’m thinking from a profession standpoint and official tutorials, these are things you would want to update.

Now I am not saying take them off the learning portal, because as they are is better than not having them. Thanks for listening! :slight_smile:

For anyone who looks at the 2 tutorials I mention above, it’s pretty easy to download them, and transfer contents over to a 4.72 project, but the thing is the market place does not seem to want to allow you to get at the contents without having the associated version or UE installed on your computer.

In other words, you can redeem the content code, but when it comes time to “add to project” if you don’t have the associated UE version installed, it won’t let you download it. At least it did not for me, or I did not figure it out. So I have 4.6 on my computer, but I’m trying to avoid have 4.6 projects, so I download it as 4.6 and then I transfer the project contents over to a 4.72 project.

RPG Example. Character, Movement, Inventory, NPCs, Dialogs and Skilling.

That’d be really awesome to help everyone learn all the features and functions, everyone loves RPGs.

1 Like

Up to date content,

That means updated every time you folks add something or change it.

1 Like

Slate UI

Don’t get me wrong - there are plenty plenty of examples regarding slate - and some amazing tools in the widget reflector for understanding existing editor UI.

Apart from this amazing from Michael Noland video which I still try to grok, there isn’t another official video regarding slate as far as I’m aware.

If there was a video of someone going through the slate example that comes with the editor - that would be pure gold. I realize a lot of slate requires a good understanding of the reflection system as well - and maybe that’s why it’s a bit more unapproachable than some other topics, but a much needed topic to be covered non the less.

1 Like

Multiplayer Vaulting with network prediction

There are very few tutorials on this topic and none of them work when there is network latency involved. It would be very helpful to know how to do it correctly.

I’m really trying to understand how this all works that bot may help thanks