What content can be used for advertisement?

If I have a technical/code only asset that cannot really be shown off on its own in a trailer, but I don’t have my own animations, models etc., is any of the following scenarious allowed?

1. Use free and/or paid marketplace assets (other than Epic Games content) in a trailer to show off what the code can do. Of course these wouldn’t be distributed with the asset, they would just serve as demonstrations for the trailer, and a note at the beginning of the trailer would inform the viewer of this.

2. Make tutorials for your asset and link them on the marketplace page in which free and/or paid marketplace content is used.

3. Tutorials of the same kind that are not linked on the marketplace page, e.g. in a discord server for people who have bought the asset.

Thanks for any help.

Hello!

The short answer is that you can use any of the marketplace assets (free, paid, and/or epic content) in most ways that doesn’t include distributing the source files.
So showing marketplace assets in a video (trailer/tutorial) is 100% fine :slight_smile:

More info here: Marketplace FAQ

How can I use the products I’ve purchased from the Marketplace or Learn Tab?
Besides using them for learning, experimenting, or prototyping, you may use Marketplace products in your own shipped products. However, you can’t sell or sublicense Marketplace content to other developers for use in their products, e.g. via website or ecommerce mechanism built into a 3D development tool.

Cheers!
Joakim

Thanks a lot for your answer. So free and bought content from the marketplace counts as “licensed”? I am aware of the marketplace FAQ but I am asking because in the marketplace guidelines it says under section 1.1.e:

Products must not contain or be marketed using any copyrighted or trademark protected names, branding, or content, including any Epic-owned trademarks (such as game titles, logos, or character names), unless owned by or adequately licensed to the publisher.

I think that section is for those who sell at the marketplace. Since they are not allowed to sell stuff like “Coca cola megapack” or “Fortnite character pack” or whatever :slight_smile:

And without being a legal expert, if you legally acquire assets from the marketplace (free or paid) then they are licensed to you. Which allows you to use them in the ways stated in the license (which more or less is that you can use the assets in a packaged game or rendered video, including tutorials)