What certificates or experience do companies look for in regards to game development?

Hello all,

I’m an aspiring game developer and I wanted to gather some feedback as to what training game devs can receive in order to learn good practices for making games.

I am looking for input on people who’ve shipped a game and their experience learning. Thanks!

Edit* To add, I am looking as a programming specific approach and an indie dev perspective where it would be up to me to make sure the game codes correctly and reads animations properly, etc.

To explain further about myself, I’ve done some coding through school and spent about 6 solid months learning unreal engine (both c++ and blueprint). I continue running into full project restarts as I learn a better way to do something (I.E. blueprints to data assets or how to run things on a dedicated server) and was wondering if there’s a solid/efficient way to learn how to make a full yet basic networked shooter game.

I’ve done some of Tom Looman’s courses and while helpful, I still feel like they are limited in scope.

I think first step is having great portfolio, example projects or pictures (depending if you are coder or artist). You need to get trough first stage of picking candidates. Then it most probably differs between companies and roles you are applying for.

So keep doing stuff show them it is your passion and that you are better than rest.
Also remove oldest projects/ art from it, keep only few best ones, rest maybe hidden behind tiny link in corner: “my old work”

And get some ready to use website, make it look nice don’t overdo with fancy stuff. Recruiters do not have time to dig trough fancy java applets to see your work.

1 Like

This is a really good source by Kieran Goodson:

ArtStation - AS Learning Series - Guide To Game Art Applications, Kieran Goodson

This would be more for the visual side of things, what is it exactly you want to focus towards?

Sorry I didn’t originally post what I was specifically looking for, haha. Edited it up top!

I’m looking for game programming/building type of help from an indie project perspective.

A friend of mine recommended twitter as a way to make a portfolio, as well? Would this be able to replace the need for a website? I’m not a fan of web dev and would really like to avoid paying more than I have to haha.

The new lyra project appears to be a great industry standard to learn from!!! I am using this now and have felt a great shift in my mentality approaching projects!