What causes error 0xc000007b in the Paragon launcher?

My question is not “how can I solve this error”, but rather, what is it? Most answers I see to troubleshooting questions direct the asker to contact Epic Games directly. I’ve also seen the 0xc000007b error on other games, like Battlefield…

This makes me wonder: is 0xc000007b a kind of general error that can be caused by many different problems relating to DirectX, thus making it hard to answer in one easy location? For example, if I told a tech support person that I got a blue screen of death, he would probably reply that a BSoD alone isn’t enough information for him to help me, other than knowing that something’s wrong. Is 0x000007b like that, but with DirectX?

Hi ,

In cases like these, it would be best to check out our help site http://help.epicgames.com/ to see if any of the articles or information present can help. If you are looking for additional assistance on the error and cannot find information or the solution within the articles, please use the “Email Us” button under the “Contact Us” section for additional assistance. Thanks!

I don’t need help to fix the error, though. I’m more curious about what 0xc000007b is, and what it indicates – hence why it’s a question (potentially) about the Unreal Engine, rather than one for Epic Games support.