What can I do to stop Unreal Editor from crashing 5 seconds into opening a project?

I downloaded Unreal Engine (4.8.2) for first time other day. Unfortunately, I am unable to work on any projects because editor crashes 5 seconds into me opening it. I receive a message saying my video driver crashed, but it was reset. I have no idea how to fix this. My laptop tells me to update my drivers, but all of mine are up to date. Please any feedback would be very much appreciated.

sounds like intel driver issue addressed here:

under major conflicts.

what type of vid card do you have?

Hi TheBeardedOn3,

Please attach your dxdiag so we can take a look at your system specs. If you could also copy information in Crash Reporter window after crash occurs and paste it here, that would be helpful (make sure you submit report). Also and attach log from project’s Saved\Logs folder. Thanks!

link text

link text

You do not have any debugging symbols required to display callstack for this crash.

Hey Sychris,

Sorry, I did not see your answer at first when you posted it. My graphics card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500. Thank you for replying.

Hi TheBeardedOn3,

Did manually installing latest drivers resolve your issue or is it still occurring?

crashing is still occurring.

As your PC is below our recommended specs, I can’t really guarantee any of these suggestions will work, but try these:

1. Lower Engine Scalability Settings. Navigate to C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\4.8\Saved\Config\Windows and open EditorSettings.ini. Replace [ScalabilityGroups] with:

[ScalabilityGroups]
    sg.ResolutionQuality=50
    sg.ViewDistanceQuality=0
    sg.AntiAliasingQuality=0
    sg.ShadowQuality=0
    sg.PostProcessQuality=0
    sg.TextureQuality=0
    sg.EffectsQuality=0

2. Attempt to launch with OpenGL. Navigate to Program Files/Unreal Engine/4.8/Engine\Binaries\Win64. Shift+Right Click in blank space of explorer window and select “Open Command Window here”. Type in ue4editor.exe “PATH/TO/UPROJECT/FILE” -opengl

Yeah editor still crashes, and I can accept that it won’t run on my PC. Can I ask which specs my PC doesn’t meet?

Time for a new computer. Your laptop GPU (graphics card) is no good.
If you want to develop, you should get a desktop and not a laptop.
It is easier to upgrade a desktop than a laptop and allot cheaper as well.

Try this out, update your BiOs, then do a complete reinstall of your GPU, make sure to use newest drivers. Then reinstall Dx. If this fixes issue, you will need to upgrade your RAM. Get your RAM up to 8 or 16 GB. Unfortunately, no matter what you do, HD Graphics 5500 is going to be your downfall.

Unreal Engine has some specific hardware and software requirements for running game and editor or developing with engine.

Recommended Hardware:
Operating System: Windows 7/8 64-bit (32 bit will work and so will Windows 10)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD, 2.5 GHz or faster (skip AMD, go with Intel)
Memory: 8 GB RAM (You will need 16 GB or more to be honest)
Video Card: DirectX 11 compatible graphics card with at least 1 GB RAM (Best getting one that supports multiple monitors and run dual 24" monitors)

What model of laptop do you have?
Download and run CPU-Z, it will give you some information that might help you.

Our wiki indicates that your are short on CPU power and RAM. Generally though, when somebody attempts to run with integrated graphics cards, it is recommended that you increase your RAM. This is because integrated graphics have no built in VRAM, so whenever you’re performing graphically intensive tasks, it is sucking away some of your RAM. Even then, integrated graphics still aren’t all that powerful.

You’ll note that some users have had relative success on under spec CPU’s and a low amount of RAM, but with discrete graphics.

If you intend to build a PC, I’d recommend you follow what CryBaby said. As far as GPU’s though, I’d try looking for a Nvidia GPU with 440 cuda cores and 1GB VRAM(GTX 470) or an AMD GPU with 1100 Stream Processors and 1GB VRAM (Radeon HD6870).