What are the most common reason UE4 crashes?

I never used software that crashed so much before… Maybe every 5-30mins… Normally any kind refactoring is the most common, but also just saving and using blue prints, or sometimes running the game it just seems random… Is this just my experience or is this common?.. Find it hard this is a normal experience with UE…

In my experience, UE almost never crashed when I was using blueprints. BP nodes have lots of failsafes that will only show you an error instead of crashing.

Most times I had BP crashes, they were caused by infinite loops.

Now when it comes to C++, crashes are much more common. In most cases the reason is a null pointer reference or array out of bounds error, but hot reloading/recompiling sometimes crashes the engine too. And then there’s a thing called “Pure Virtual Function” and I have no idea what that is, but it would randomly happen after hot reloading/recompiling.

VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST

You need to check the log to trace it down. Most common crash: calling a function on a reference that is invalid.

For me, most crashes happen with C++ - you have more control and more responsibility.

Some nasty things may happen with garbage collection: make sure to use UPROPERTY correctly to avoid objects created by NewObject() to get garbage collected under the hood. This can lead to crashes that look random and unreproducible, which may drive you crazy.