What are the "Limits" of UE4?

Hello,

I would like to know the feasibility of creating continent-sized Levels for both cinematic development and using the same level for game-play.

Is it possible, for example, to run a map the size of the United States on Unreal Engine?

I am looking to build a world over the span of my life, always adding onto it and would like to know the essential “limits” of Unreal.

An example of the size I would like to achieve are from these shots…

**Would it be possible to create lands as big as these and be able to…create high realism cinematic, play as a game, and explore every aspect of it?

By, “High realism cinematic” I mean to the level of DIGIC Pictures or Blur Studios.**

http://www.blur.com/

http://www.digicpictures.com/

UE4 is capable of doing some very pretty things, and over time its capabilities will improve, however for what you want to do a lot of it depends on your skill and how much time you have to do it. Realistically, it’s too much of a challenge for a single person to do, it would be pretty much impossible even for a team of professionals. Some really skilled developers could make a really large world, but it wouldn’t be high quality or have much to do, that’s always the tradeoff, time and money.
You also have to consider what the point of a project like that is anyway.

Regarding time its just a matter of something I do for personal work.
Its till my end of time so there’s not much of any restriction there.

With the time frame given now…

1)Why is it impossible? what exactly is impossible about it?

2)I would like to know then that if it is impossible how is it that the team that made the above said worlds accomplish such a feat?

1. In terms of making things pretty or as I’m assuming you mean of the realism of Digic or Blur studios…the game level version wont be of this level i understand but is it possible for UE 4 to achieve that level of rendering?

Idk…The way I see things is that the ‘impossible’ is just something that hasn’t been done, yet.

Pretty much sums it up… I have asked many questions regarding if I can do something in UE4 (On these forums), and have been told no. Though, I ended up accomplishing my goals anyways…

The only limitation on a world size would be your hard drive capacity ( I just ran a 16 giga-pixel test (17179869184 pixels) the other day 131072 x 131072 pixels) it was, are you sitting down? 63 gigabytes.

Of course also your skills at incorporating a offset if you do a master server.

I would say its impossible only because a map the size of the US would require billions of models but luckily the maps in the images you posted are no where close to the size of the US, in fact I would say they are maybe only a little larger then a big city which is possible with enough work.

3 things.

1: not as big as the US.

2: many people working on them.

3: lots of time,work and dedication.

UE4 can do realistic rendering so you should be good there as long as you have the hardware.

that’s what putting in the time and the right amount of dedication can do:).

yeah, I think you may need a few servers for a world that big with that much detail.

that’s all just my opinion:D.

1)Why is it impossible? what exactly is impossible about it?

-consider 100 people working on a game for 5 years, now drop that down to one person, that would take 500 years, and you want to do something bigger than anything anyone has ever done, and you have less experience.

2)I would like to know then that if it is impossible how is it that the team that made the above said worlds accomplish such a feat?

-What you see in a pre-rendered image doesn’t have the same limitations as what a game does, it doesn’t have as high of detail and doesn’t have to function, it also doesn’t have to work in real-time. And still, they have many people and lots of money to achieve that level.

1. In terms of making things pretty or as I’m assuming you mean of the realism of Digic or Blur studios…the game level version wont be of this level i understand but is it possible for UE 4 to achieve that level of rendering?

-There’s certain things in gaming graphics that are still a challenge like dynamic lighting and particle effects, both of which should have some usable solutions in the near future. Other things like anti-aliasing/motion blur/depth of field will also improve. But today, things still look like a game.

Many thanks to the fellow posters
@Jamendxman3 @

These were the very specific types of answers I was looking for that were regarding how one would go about making the vision.

So lets talk about a more foreseeable goal such as making a city before making a continent.

1)What is the importabtlity/exportability of UE4?

If there ever comes a time that say Unity is better for film like realism or an even stronger engine comes out
(Not saying this to cause emotional upset but rather objectively speaking of a worst case scenario)…

Would UE4 be able to export the enormous level Ive created to other engines?

…Otherwise it would be alot of time and work that goes to waste.

1. If say, I want to import the level or parts of the city sized level

to a film or animating program like Maya, 3DS or Cinema4D

Would UE4 be able to export a large level like a city?

1. If UE4 is able to import toa film or animating program like Maya, 3DS or Cinema4D

Would the film and animating programs be able to handle the size of a city large level?

4)And just checking but if I’m gonna import my level…say I make it and its too large for my storage…
I could just copy and paste the level to a larger storage right?

-So, no hidden fancy behind the back stuff technical problems right? Just storage to storage right?

5)You guys mention as long as the hardware is there…

What type of hardware?
I’m looking into a new workstation soon and would like to know what should I have at least if my goal is to create a city sized level.

In regard to money as this is a hypothesis…assume that any budget of up to $10,000.

Of course, eventually I will need larger amounts of storage or hardware to run the city level real time, but…

I would still need an idea of what to start with
for the goal of Initial creation – 1/2 way or 3/4 competition of the city level.

Thank you very much for your reply , I can see the reasons why you think it is impossible.

Just a thought(not meant to demean anyone)… if I was doing this for the purpose of completion then it may be very well impossible.

But for my own interests until the day I die…What’s the fun in completion?
In fact, there may never be completion.

Also, what may have taken 100 people to do 5-10 years ago take 1-2 now.

Whats to say that there isnt improvements in the years to come that will do the same?

So 100 people work in 5 years may become 1 persons work in 5 years.

Who knows?

why you not start by built you own flapy bird or candy crush, get money, and use that money to hire professional for working for your game:)

for your question, I think you will have (atleast) this 5 problem, but easy to solved (by yourself)

1. 3D assets
    problem is, that big city need a lot assets to make from basic cube into textured building.
    easy to solved if you already have a lot assets, spend your time to make all of them, or have money to buy from assets market.
  2. In engine work.
    problem is when you jump to setting all material, lighting, technical aspect, how to make level run smoothly (you must spend much time for it)
    easy to solved if you hard worker person :smiley:
  3. Hardware
    that big city need high-end hardware, open land with deer, rocks, forest (Kite open demo) is small example for hardware requirement
    easy to solved if you already have super power hardware :slight_smile:
  4. Time (I know you know what I mean)
  5. Desperate
    you know this problem, every one always have this problem its hard to solved, and its always come suddenly :frowning:

people (included me)says that impossible because your picture come from top-front view that covering all 3d assets on that level, of course its hard… If I remember correctly in EPIC GDC “Making of Paragon” there is discussion about LOD, if you can play with LOD I think it will possible to make that city (city from first image) or do programming magic (destroy all interior or assets that will not shown in scene, and load them all when it needed)

from you pictures, its come from FF XV right?
first images, I believe its reachable in UE4
but for second image, (I guess that from CGI movie of FF XV Kingsglaive trailer) I believe its come from pre-rendered CGI, with big high end render farm.

but if you use super-ultimate-ultra low poly assets, non dynamic lighting, I think you can make similar level like that (come on, its just super far camera view, no need to get detail for it, just use simple cube with building texture, and you’re done, load the “gameplay level detail” when camera become closer (LOD thing)

If you are programmer, don’t forget, EPIC give us source code of UE4, you can play with it to make your own “RAGE engine” haha (I dont know but your question make me thinking about this awesome Rockstar engine)

I recommended you to watching EPIC GDC event, both of “Making of Kite open world demo and PARAGON”
and don’t give up, even other people say its “impossible”, put that “desperate word” into your motivation :smiley:

Possible, but the stuff we’re talking about is recent, GTAV took 5 years to make, Final Fantasy XV has been in development for about 10 years and isn’t out yet. While tools get more capable all the time, think about drawing or sculpting, still takes a ton of time even with advancements in technology and mankind has had those things for a very long time. The project you want to do has both technical issues in terms of making something that big that functions, but also in how much content you would have to make which simply takes time.
It’s also probably an issue to plan a lifetime project on a piece of software, since it’s going to be replaced and become obsolete at some point, which would require you to either move to a newer engine or try to keep using the old one.
You could still accomplish a very impressive project if you break it down into something more reasonable. People have done some pretty incredible projects, but it’s always something that’s actually possible.

Thank you,

In regards to your talk about planning a lifetime project on a piece of software and its possibility of being replaced or becoming obsolete I would like to know if you could aid in question #1)

Many thanks to the fellow posters
@Jamendxman3 @

These were the very specific types of answers I was looking for that were regarding how one would go about making the vision.

So lets talk about a more foreseeable goal such as making a city before making a continent.

**1)**What is the importabtlity/exportability of UE4?

If there ever comes a time that say Unity is better for film like realism or an even stronger engine comes out
(Not saying this to cause emotional upset but rather objectively speaking of a worst case scenario)…

Would UE4 be able to export the enormous level Ive created to other engines?

…Otherwise it would be alot of time and work that goes to waste.

2) If say, I want to import the level or parts of the city sized level
to a film or animating program like Maya, 3DS or Cinema4D

Would UE4 be able to export a large level like a city?

3) If UE4 is able to import toa film or animating program like Maya, 3DS or Cinema4D

Would the film and animating programs be able to handle the size of a city large level?

**4)**And just checking but if I’m gonna import my level…say I make it and its too large for my storage…
I could just copy and paste the level to a larger storage right?

-So, no hidden fancy behind the back stuff technical problems right? Just storage to storage right?

**5)**You guys mention as long as the hardware is there…

What type of hardware?
I’m looking into a new workstation soon and would like to know what should I have at least if my goal is to create a city sized level.

In regard to money as this is a hypothesis…assume that any budget of up to $10,000.

Of course, eventually I will need larger amounts of storage or hardware to run the city level real time, but…

I would still need an idea of what to start with
for the goal of Initial creation – 1/2 way or 3/4 competition of the city level.

A city is much more manageable

1–UE4 focuses support on the FBX file format, which should be the standard for quite some time, it can both import and export FBX files. Normally you export each object to UE4 and then place them in the level, but I believe that they added a scene export function so you could realistically set up the city in your 3D program (ideally 3ds Max or Maya) and then export the whole thing to UE4 and it should be able to place things properly for you, then you would have the same thing in both your 3D program and in UE4. There’s more to it, since you’d want to set up LOD’s (level of detail) and stuff like that, but that’s something that makes things much easier.

2–Yes, you’d be able to export it out, but you would likely already have the 3D assets in your 3D program already

3–For those programs really the only limitation is the amount of RAM, which can handle quite a bit–there was the recent movie Might No. 9 which had a full city model that they developed a system to be able to manage all of the assets and be able to render what they wanted and that was done with Maya.

4–For projects in UE4 your project is saved to its own folder, you can simply copy the folder to a new location to move it around–the source files for your assets would need to be managed separately in whatever way you want

5–What would be really good for gaming development, one of the Socket 2011-V3 processors, like the i7 5960x, plus something like the Nvidia Titan X would be a great combination. But–Intel is coming out with a new generation of processors and Nvidia is also coming out with a new generation of graphics cards.

If you’re interested in 3D rendering for animation, then you might consider building a render farm, there are options like GPU rendering where you can render with something like RedShift or iRay which uses as many graphics cards as your computer supports and it works pretty well, that would be if you were rendering stuff in your 3D program (Maya/3ds Max/etc.)

Thank you very much for the insight and support! @Nico_4

I will definitely look into the five points you have mentioned, and yes they are from FFXV

I will also look into the PARAGON demo more,
I’ve actually watched the Kito Demo and parts of the PARAGON demo.

Thanks for the amazing information!

1–UE4 focuses support on the FBX file format, which should be the standard for quite some time, it can both import and export FBX files.

**1)**With this, essentially, the format of UE4’s levels, is like a USB right?

The FBX is so universally standard that the chances of wasted work is quite low
similar to the chances of a new universal plug shape that would replace the USB worldwide.

If so, this answers the question of whether or not UE4 is flexible.
There really shouldnt be any reason to worry even if UE4 no longer can compare to another engine
because universally that engine should support FBX and be able to convert(if FBX is no longer the universal) to whatever future format the world heads towards right?

Normally you export each object to UE4 and then place them in the level, but I believe that they added a scene export function so you could realistically set up the city in your 3D program (ideally 3ds Max or Maya) and then export the whole thing to UE4 and it should be able to place things properly for you, then you would have the same thing in both your 3D program and in UE4.

**2)**Regarding this, do you mean that it would be easier to build the city first in the 3D programs (ideally 3ds Max or Maya)
then bring it into UE4?

Because from the videos I’ve seen of UE4, it seems that seeing your city in realtime being built as you place assets in it seems to have so much more “life” don’t you think?

Otherwise, in Maya or 3DS you always have to press the “Render” button to see what your city really looks like right?

5–What would be really good for gaming development, one of the Socket 2011-V3 processors, like the i7 5960x, plus something like the Nvidia Titan X would be a great combination. But–Intel is coming out with a new generation of processors and Nvidia is also coming out with a new generation of graphics cards.

**3)**Yeah, I was looking into a similar combination of these two such as the
-DUAL Intel XEON E5-2650v4 2.2GHz, 30MB cache, 9.60 QPI (Twelve-Core)
-NVIDIA Quadro M5000 8GB

What exactly is the difference between the Quadro’s and the GeForces?
It seems many developers recommend the Quadro but all UE4 test runs on YouTube are done with GeForces…

If you’re interested in 3D rendering for animation, then you might consider building a render farm, there are options like GPU rendering where you can render with something like RedShift or iRay which uses as many graphics cards as your computer supports and it works pretty well, that would be if you were rendering stuff in your 3D program (Maya/3ds Max/etc.)

**4)**You’re right, I will most likely end up using a render farm in the future for the photo real 3D animations.

As I understand, 3D rendering to the level of DIGIC or Blur, as of now, can’t be done on UE4…

Which is why I would still be making animated 3d cinematics on 3DS or Maya right?

**5a)**With that said, does 3D rendering for animation in 3DS and Maya work the same way as it does for UE4?

**5b)**Because if UE4 becomes realistic enough by the time I build a city, then wouldn’t it be unnecessary for a render farm?

**5c)**Instead, UE4 would have the photo real city rendered real time and with matinee record and create cinematics that way right?

This does not sound very realistic.
How would you create the terrain, are you talking about real topological data of the United States, or just something empty of that size?

If you’re talking about getting the terrain of the US correct then you’re going to use heightmaps? Thought about disk space limitations?

Let’s say you do tiles of 4096x4096 and a pixel density of 1 meter/pixel
So, for every 8km x 8km that’s 4 heightmaps of 32 MB each, total 128 MB.

But you need that times 1,2 million? Hm… ok, you could perhaps get away with 150 Terabyte of just heightmaps. But you also need textures, wanna do the math?

Now, your next task is just to populate this world with props. I guess that’ll take no time at all.

If you want to do anything of this size you need to do it procedurally, and not store anything on disk.

-USB will become obsolete(it already is), FBX has a less chance of that, it’s the main format from Autodesk which is the biggest 3D software company, so it’ll be the standard until something better comes along, it offers the most compatibility for geometry, materials, and animation in one format. It wouldn’t be difficult for a better format to be made, the issue is if the main programs would choose to support that format which is why FBX is probably going to remain for a long time. OBJ is another common format that is still used very often, UE4 supports that as well.

-Yes, it’s much easier to place your meshes in a program like 3ds Max or Maya than it is in UE4, so the deal is that if you were able easily match your object placement as it is in 3ds Max/Maya then it makes the process much easier. But again, that’s just for the meshes and object placement, there’s other things to keep in mind that you can only do in UE4 like configuring LOD’s and doing lighting and materials. With UE4 the viewport is WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), but you still have to do some extra stuff, the biggest challenge is building lighting, which is where it renders the lighting and saves it to a lightmap texture, it’s a real pain to set up each mesh to work properly with lightmaps and once it’s set up you have to render the lighting which takes hours–for a large map you might have too much stuff to even do that because it has to load everything into memory, which that might require using a dynamic lighting setup instead of lightmaps which won’t look as good. That’s why in the future there will be a dynamic global illumination system that will provide much nicer looking dynamic lighting. UE4 originally had a dynamic GI system called SVOGI but it was removed before release because the performance was not good enough. With something like SVOGI you would get your lighting results instantly.

-Quadro is designed to improve performance in something like the Maya/3ds Max viewport, particularly for scenes that have lots of stuff. However, they aren’t very fast, and it has limited advantage outside of that use. You can get excellent performance with a Geforce card in Maya/3ds Max for a much lower cost, and for things like a video game the gaming cards perform much better than a Quadro. Also, there are GPU renderers like VrayRT, iRay, RedShift, etc. that render much faster with a gaming card than they do with something like a Quadro or a Tesla card. Simply put–Geforce is faster, better priced, and works better in most cases.
As for CPU, I would go for something with a higher clock speed, the issue with Xeons is that they’re built for multi-tasking and reliability, whereas something like the i7 processors are built for speed. The Xeon would be great for rendering or for baking the lightmaps in UE4 but not as good for actually running the game. The cost of Xeons is also not great, you pay much more for the performance than you do with an i7 processor, the deal though is that you could build a faster Xeon system than the fastest i7 system as long as you have enough money. Again, I would wait a bit because new processors and graphics cards are coming very soon.

-Right, in a game engine it’s all optimized to run well in real-time, not for graphical accuracy so there’s many areas that just aren’t as good.

-Rendering in 3ds Max/Maya is easier, since you don’t have to concern yourself with making things interactive or getting workarounds for things like lighting and other effects, but you do have to deal with render settings when you use Mental Ray or Vray or whatever renderer you’re using in 3ds Max/Maya, and of course it renders much slower–I consider it a victory if I can get a frame time to 10-15 minutes but in movies the frame times are much higher, like on the average computer most frame times would take a day or more which is why the visual effects studios have huge render farms.

-Games are still far away from matching what you can do rendering in 3ds Max/Maya. You can certainly get things looking great, and at some point it might even look photorealistic, but it won’t technically be as realistic and accurate though you might not care as long as it looks good to you. There might be a future where rendering in a video game isn’t any different from rendering in a 3D program, but that’s not happening any time soon.

-Right, if you want to use UE4 to just render stuff and don’t care about real-time performance then it becomes much easier, you can render things pretty nicely and there’s quality settings that you can turn up if you don’t care so much about it being real-time. There’s also stuff like Nvidia VXGI which is available for UE4 if you want to try a dynamic global illumination system that you could use and turn up the quality if you don’t are about framerate.

I think maybe I will put something into perspective here as maybe a helpful reply and maybe not.

Keep in mind this was a goal many years ago like 35 years ago before computers had the computational power they have today and before internet existed.

I wanted a virtual reality at the time and a place for thousands of people to come and enjoy making cities from artwork and donating artwork themselves and dreamed of how to accomplish the task. I set out on my 8088 to program an algorithmic program to generate pixel data that would become a terrain.

I soon found that the memory was exhausted with something simple as 64x64 bitmap so I said someday maybe.

A couple years later I got a new computer capable of doing ‘at that time, LARGE terrains’ and internet had become a place to get information. I set out on the web and found a newsgroup that chatted about computer graphics and found out my large terrain would have to be many blocks. In the process of trying to connect these blocks I learned of a new and great OS being developed called Linux so I got involved in the Linux project and kind of forgot about my fantasy virtual world.

My job changed and I was traveling all over the world so I couldn’t work on my projects much since I didn’t have a laptop.

Anyway, in 1999 I got wind of VTP (virtual terrain project) and got somewhat involved with it which really helped me understand the process of putting together the earth DM maps and how things need to be to accomplish the paging system. In the mean time several others were already more advanced so in 2004 I got involved in L3DT.

Now L3DT as a free program is great but the pro version allowed me to go way beyond the limits and make massive terrains. However I am not a very good artist and I didn’t have the time to learn terrain design so random generated terrains became a thing of interest. I also at the time realized that to build a massive size world that I would need massive computational power or lots of time and I also needed to be able to generate model data in maps to cover the foliage and such . I also realized that to make the world I needed to be able to wrap it onto itself so it was a real world with a global look and feel. To this design I started searching for a engine capable or easily modified to make a continuous looping world with 6 degrees of freedom.

After much programming effort and a lot of sleepless nights I made a rough program to do such BUT it was based on SDL and not useable as full blown terrain system. I tried to incorporated it into Crystal Space engine and had some success but the engine just didn’t have very good layering which meant the terrain was in but the layers of splatting was limited to 4. OK, so we trashed this concept and worked on another. With Multiverse I successfully imported a 16 giga pixel in 2009 and had it up and running since it already accepted L3DT mosaics directly. The test was to run across the world but it crashed everytime I got 5 or 6 blocks into the map which meant it had a memory leak. Not having the source at the time I ditched it.

Along came Esenthal (Late 2009) which perked my interest since the engine was capable of master server and unlimited terrain. after some effort I make a tutorial on how to import insane world sizes but the engines splatting was limited too 8 layers per chunk so I found t lacking in that respect.

I started wondering about the concept since many engines I had tried needed massive work to get them through the requirements I set forth in 1981. I wasted 30 years on it and was beginning to think it would never be possible.

In 2010 I heard of Bigworlds. They were not making a development for indies at the time but the interest I had was perked enough to follow it and ask them about making a developed indie version. In 2012 hero engine was available and I took a contract for making my game. I soon learned it was rather limited in OW design but could be possible with work. Late 2012 BWT released a indie version and I was ecstatic because here we now have a clustering master server with terrains at 100x100 KM in ones zone and space mapping capable of extending it indefinitely. Well **** on them for taking out occlusion and making morph targets not possible.

So here we are with UE. Now UE can do anything you want except clustering master server out of the box but for a single player game the world can be any size! It can be 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 miles square built with 1024 16 giga pixel terrains if you want it to be but the limit is storage since as I said previously. Now the other thing is time it took me 3 months to generate one terrain at 16 giga pixel. it took 4 days to generate the alpha maps which have 43 layers of terrain data each and layer adds another 16 giga-pixels which takes space. Then you have to remap these layers to 1017 blocks and export them to UE which took over a month of work. Once you are setup with all layers the engine will run for several days importing it and if you make ONE mistake it has to go through the process again.

In L3DT you can build you foliage data maps and use them through script in UE to make automatic foliage so each map again is 16 giga-pixel and has to run through the script one block at a time which is 256 block square.

Now why I quit this was my wife of 37 years had a stoke and has been in a skilled care facility since November 27th,2015 (the day after thanksgiving) I have lost interest in game development as a whole and lost the desire to continue since it took away much of a lifetime so if you need to know the answer to ‘what can UE do?’ there it is.

I think maybe I will put something into perspective here as maybe a helpful reply and maybe not.

Keep in mind this was a goal many years ago like 35 years ago before computers had the computational power they have today and before internet existed.

I wanted a virtual reality at the time and a place for thousands of people to come and enjoy making cities from artwork and donating artwork themselves and dreamed of how to accomplish the task. I set out on my 8088 to program an algorithmic program to generate pixel data that would become a terrain.

I soon found that the memory was exhausted with something simple as 64x64 bitmap so I said someday maybe.

A couple years later I got a new computer capable of doing ‘at that time, LARGE terrains’ and internet had become a place to get information. I set out on the web and found a newsgroup that chatted about computer graphics and found out my large terrain would have to be many blocks. In the process of trying to connect these blocks I learned of a new and great OS being developed called Linux so I got involved in the Linux project and kind of forgot about my fantasy virtual world.

My job changed and I was traveling all over the world so I couldn’t work on my projects much since I didn’t have a laptop.

Anyway, in 1999 I got wind of VTP (virtual terrain project) and got somewhat involved with it which really helped me understand the process of putting together the earth DM maps and how things need to be to accomplish the paging system. In the mean time several others were already more advanced so in 2004 I got involved in L3DT.

Now L3DT as a free program is great but the pro version allowed me to go way beyond the limits and make massive terrains. However I am not a very good artist and I didn’t have the time to learn terrain design so random generated terrains became a thing of interest. I also at the time realized that to build a massive size world that I would need massive computational power or lots of time and I also needed to be able to generate model data in maps to cover the foliage and such . I also realized that to make the world I needed to be able to wrap it onto itself so it was a real world with a global look and feel. To this design I started searching for a engine capable or easily modified to make a continuous looping world with 6 degrees of freedom.

After much programming effort and a lot of sleepless nights I made a rough program to do such BUT it was based on SDL and not useable as full blown terrain system. I tried to incorporated it into Crystal Space engine and had some success but the engine just didn’t have very good layering which meant the terrain was in but the layers of splatting was limited to 4. OK, so we trashed this concept and worked on another. With Multiverse I successfully imported a 16 giga pixel in 2009 and had it up and running since it already accepted L3DT mosaics directly. The test was to run across the world but it crashed everytime I got 5 or 6 blocks into the map which meant it had a memory leak. Not having the source at the time I ditched it.

Along came Esenthal (Late 2009) which perked my interest since the engine was capable of master server and unlimited terrain. after some effort I make a tutorial on how to import insane world sizes but the engines splatting was limited too 8 layers per chunk so I found t lacking in that respect.

I started wondering about the concept since many engines I had tried needed massive work to get them through the requirements I set forth in 1981. I wasted 30 years on it and was beginning to think it would never be possible.

In 2010 I heard of Bigworlds. They were not making a development for indies at the time but the interest I had was perked enough to follow it and ask them about making a developed indie version. In 2012 hero engine was available and I took a contract for making my game. I soon learned it was rather limited in OW design but could be possible with work. Late 2012 BWT released a indie version and I was ecstatic because here we now have a clustering master server with terrains at 100x100 KM in ones zone and space mapping capable of extending it indefinitely. Well **** on them for taking out occlusion and making morph targets not possible.

So here we are with UE. Now UE can do anything you want except clustering master server out of the box but for a single player game the world can be any size! It can be 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 miles square built with 1024 16 giga pixel terrains if you want it to be but the limit is storage since as I said previously. Now the other thing is time it took me 3 months to generate one terrain at 16 giga pixel. it took 4 days to generate the alpha maps which have 43 layers of terrain data each and layer adds another 16 giga-pixels which takes space. Then you have to remap these layers to 1017 blocks and export them to UE which took over a month of work. Once you are setup with all layers the engine will run for several days importing it and if you make ONE mistake it has to go through the process again.

In L3DT you can build you foliage data maps and use them through script in UE to make automatic foliage so each map again is 16 giga-pixel and has to run through the script one block at a time which is 256 block square.

Now why I quit this was my wife of 37 years had a stoke and has been in a skilled care facility since November 27th,2015 (the day after thanksgiving) I have lost interest in game development as a whole and lost the desire to continue since it took away much of a lifetime so if you need to know the answer to ‘what can UE do?’ there it is.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your input

I hope your wife regain her health and all the best to you in whichever path you decide to go to next.

Hey , sorry I did not respond to the discussion sooner; I was away from any type of workstation the previous day.

1a) I see!

Then UE4 will be my destination for this very long project, even if a stronger engine comes along.

Afterall, the FBX has a high chance to remain undisputed and even if it does, I do believe there will be opportunities to convert to a newer format.

Since much of the world uses FBX already (in which developers understand this), developers wouldn’t mindlessly change formats without creating a method to allow conversion between FBX and a newer format(if they ever decide to create and switch over to one).

1b) By USB do you mean flash drives?
Sorry if it is my misunderstanding…I just cant see how the USB port is becoming obsolete?
Every hardware appliance nowadays has USB jacks on one end to allow connection to power, computer, Audio equipment, etc.

2a) I see so the main trade off is…

**UE4**

**Pros**
 -Real time lighting
 -Can see rendered out models(with life like interactions with wind,etc) 
 as you place assets and world build 

**Con**
 -Must do all the lighting work before hand to have realtime lighting
 -**If you don’t want to do the work…**
 -Would use dynamic lighting which
 = Doesn’t look as good
  • In order for dynamic lighting to look better you would use Dynamic GI which
    as of right now, doesn’t have a high enough level of performance for use.

VS.

**3DS/Maya**
 **Pro**
 -Building lighting labor does not need to be done beforehand

**Con**
 -No real time lighting 
 -No rendered out models(with life like interactions with wind,etc) 
 as you place assets and world build 

**2b) ** So essentially, labor has to be done somewhere right?
(Either you…

-Do the labor beforehand to see what your world looks like real time 

Or
-You don’t and you have to press the render button every time you want to see what your world really looks like)

** 2c)** The only change to this process would be in the future if a dynamic GI was released that was able to produce the same quality as building up the light by hand…

Which would allow real time lighting without any of the drawbacks of labor in building the lighting, correct?

3a) Are there any specific information hubs you go to keep up to date the releases and what they are capable of?

3b) Do you think the next new line of CPUs would incorporate the best of both the Xeons and the i7’s?

3c) I’ve read that the Quadros are industry standard more so because they have ECC’s.
Even so…

**Quadros**
 **Pro**
 -Can improve performance in Maya/3ds Viewport
 -ECC in case of data loss

VS.

**Con**
 -Ridiculously high price in proportion to the GeForce with similar performance**

Thought)** As you see, I just can’t understand how the industry standard (Quadro) is worth?
Is a slight improvement in 3DS/ Maya viewport and ECC really worth that much more money? (Since extra resources spent is multiplied by the amount of computers they have in the studio)

4) When using UE4 for…

**Only Rendering ** Making the level for - cinematic shorts ( w/High level of realism) ]

**VS**

Real-time performance Making the level for
- playability as a game
And/or
-cinematic short( w/lower level realism) ]

Thought) Does one have to still be concerned with the technical problem of “making things interactive or getting workarounds for lighting and other effects?”

5a) Amazing thought though right?
In Unity 3’s latest cinematic “Adam,” apparently all that highly realistic rendering was real time…
If so, its possible something close to what we are imagining might actually be around the doorstep

In case anyone hasn’t seen it, here is the link. https://youtube.com/watch?v=44M7JsKqwow_______________________________________________________________________________

5b) So hypothetically speaking, if game engines become able to render photorealistically, then render farms wouldn’t be necessary anymore right?

**Because, essentially the thought process is…**

**A)** We would like Photoreal Cinematic Renders(in which Game Engines are incapable as of yet) 
 = So we **need** to use **3DS Max and Maya**

**B)** We want faster render times
 =So we purchase and build a **render farm**

Thought) Afterall, hypothetically speaking…

If A) (the need to use 3DS/Maya) was rendered obsolete due to engines like UE4 and Unity3 becoming photoreal in realtime…

Then B) (Render farms) would also become unnecessary correct?

6) Regarding using UE4 to render(at a higher level than its real time counterpart), instead of real time performance…are there any examples of rendering ability of UE4 in which people have used it to create a cinematic of any kind?

Most of the photo real renderings I’ve seen are of a sofa or a single room architect’s preview for their clients.