What are the difference between the 5.0 and ue5-main branches? And which one should I use for development until the full release in 2022?

Hi,

Could someone please tell me, between the 5.0 and the ue5-main branch, which one should I use to build the engine and for development until Unreal 5.0 releases next year in 2022?

Thank you,

Currently Synchronized

Hi @ Onoa

You should be using 5.0
Here is my forked Repository, which seems error free, post based on Visual Studio 2022, which is released in full 8th November 2021.

The main branch is sometimes updated 20 times a day and often broken as its dynamic.

Visual Studio 2022 RC 2 builds and runs UE5.0 - Development Discussion / Unreal Engine 5 Early Access - Unreal Engine Forums

1 Like

When will UE5 be fully released? I haven’t seen any info on that.
Also, what will be included in the full release that isn’t already in the current UE5?
I haven’t tried UE5 yet but I might switch over to it too

There is no release date just somewhere in 2022. The whole thing is about testing and updating new functions like Nanite and Lumen.

UE5 is such a change from UE4 it still needs lots of work.
If you need an official version then it’s 4.26,

UPDATE We have all learnt the documentation has been updated as are the 4.27 Learning examples Subway Sequencer and ArchViz Interior DO SUCCESFULLY convert from 4.27 to UE5.0 despite what the documentation saying there is a problem

See Obsolete UE4 tools code and workflows - Development Discussion

I suppose when Epic Marketplace allows UE5 content we will know the answer.

You must make a backup as there is no way back to UE4.

I have written a post on how to use UE 5.0 latest source to test your code.
Visual Studio 2022 RC 2 builds and runs UE5.0 - Development Discussion / Unreal Engine 5 Early Access - Unreal Engine Forums

This will get you up to speed on UE5 really fast, but the PC minimum spec is quite high. I use a 64GB pagefile as it is cheaper than more buying more memory

Just depends on how long and how much time you want to spend

1 Like

Not true. Official docs clearly state that it should possible to update from 4.27 to the 5.0.
It’s literally on the first page of UE 5 docs :slight_smile:

Every single new system is much improved, fixed, ready on various platforms. Like Nanite working on Vulcan. Overall editor UX is getting improved.
Generally, UE5 Early Access is just that, an early preview of new tech. Not ready to publish games with such a version. Kinda OK to jumpstart a new project with that, if you’d use a new tech.

Engine teams already spent over half of the year polishing it up. If you’d try to use 5.0 for development now, I’d strongly recommend the current code pulled from the 5.0 development branch.

The only information on the release is “early 2022”. Which might be January-February, who knows…

As of entirely new fat features in 5.0

• Large World Coordinates, simply using double for coordinates instead of the float.
  • Entire set of plugins designed to simulate crowds and the insane number of AI agents. Simulation runs ECS-style over unchanged gameplay framework (relying on Actors). You’d find plugins with “Mass” in the name, i.e. MassEntity. It comes with StateTree, ZoneGraph plugins.
4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the info!

Personally, I don’t mind grabbing the latest even if it’s less stable. Seems to work fine with RC 3 as well btw, just got the latest of the 5.0 branch yesterday and everything compiled fine with no errors.

Actually, on Linux latest unreleased 5.0 branch is much more stable than “stable” release of 4.27. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I just installed 5.0EA2 from the launcher, and during install was a big blue button saying click here to see the source on github… it goes to a 404 error page. :rofl:

and then when running the thing, it gave me a nice error

UnrealEditor.exe - System Error:
The program can’t start because api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l2-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

after the error it DOES launch the editor, but when trying to create C++ First Person project with starter content:

Running D:/Unreal/UE_5.0EA/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“D:/Unreal Projects/ue5fps/ue5fps.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
A fatal error occurred. The required library hostfxr.dll could not be found.
If this is a self-contained application, that library should exist in [D:\Unreal\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool].
If this is a framework-dependent application, install the runtime in the global location [C:\Program Files\dotnet] or use the DOTNET_ROOT environment variable to specify the runtime location or register the runtime location in [HKLM\SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\InstallLocation].

The .NET Core runtime can be found at:

did it blow up because i don’t have vs2022 installed yet?

Do you have a Github account and is it linked to the Unreal repository? If not, that’s probably why you are seeing the 404 error page (you need to be logged in your Github account).

1 Like

Hi @logic_looper, It like @Onoa said you must register for a Github and an EPIC DEVELOPER account
Unreal Engine 4 on GitHub Source code Access Registration- Unreal Engine

You are running the BINARY which is so old like 27th May 2021 (7 months?:grin::rofl::thinking:)
Signup You are just agreeing to use Unreal content on Unreal and nowhere else and if you earn more than $1Million :joy:you will pay royalties and you will keep the code safe and everything you do Unreal has first-party ownership.
We will make a developer of you yet!!