What are the best practices for creating a big world?

If I wanted to create a big world, would I create it all in one level or would I create multiple levels and change levels as a character walks into a box collision? BTW, you probably already figured out I’m kind of new at this.

It depends on how big it is, if it’s bigger than 6km squared then you’d need to use World Composition, where it will connect multiple tiles of the world and control how they get loaded in and switched around.

Thanks for that advice.

Hi @DonaldFaulknor.

In my opinion, there are several factors. The first would be single player or multiplayer. Things get tricky with multiplayer see the big world documentation. Another factor to consider is the construction of the game world environment using unrealengine landscapes or custom solutions like voxels. Is there a significant amount of Architecture? You may find yourself creating custom occlusion methods and transportal systems to optimize. Its a lot of work to create a large environment, so you may find yourself seeking procedural generation systems and techniques (which is what Im doing as a solo dev).

Good Luck.

Not really. Mostly wide open with grass, sand, and paths/roads. Maybe a few buildings scattered around. They’ll be towns along the pathway, but I already planned on making the towns as their own levels… assuming that’s good practice? I just don’t want it to lag a lot and I would think if a big area has to load entirely, it would lag, right? Is there a way to make pieces of a level load only when the player gets in view of it?

To clarify, I’m not building a fully functional game at the moment. I’m practicing with world creation. I’ve already taken a few courses on doing this stuff, just trying to get in some much needed practice. Hopefully in one year I’ll be a billionaire with the world’s most popular game lol (dreams). I have a lot of programming experience (in something different than C++ and Blueprints) and hoping that my programming aptitude will help when I need to use it in UE4.

I started the same way back with UDK both in skills and commercial ambitions:) I was trying to develop a MMO-like open world game. Developed many tech demos and experiments.Joined several Teams. Started a Team. Acquired 100s of Assets. That was 6 years ago. The MMO has yet to materialize. The lesson learned: as much work as you’re going to put into learning UE4, might as well start your development towards your game. I wish you the best. If you need someone to talk Game Dev with, you find me here or in discord.

No it isn’t. However, the point was, I have taken some c++ tutorials and the basic logic and much of the syntax and keywords are similar to what I know. Making it easier to learn than someone that’s never done programming.

@EntrpriseCustomr I received some good responses on that other post and I mostly understand the Blueprint solutions provided to me. I’ll be trying them out tomorrow. And I understand that knowing some programming doesn’t fully qualify me to use it in game development; however, having the knowledge makes it so I can learn easier. For example, I know what variables and functions are, constructs, blah, blah, blah. So, if I was to take a C++ gaming dev tutorial I’d understand a lot of the terms and keywords and much of the syntax… not necessarily game-specific coding, but the language in itself. I actually want to start my own game company, I already have a name and a website. I plan on building my first cheaply made fully functional game by myself and at a later time when I have the finances, I’ll hire someone better qualified to help. I’m also in college and considering a program change to game development, since I mistakenly chose Full Stack Web Developer. lol long story there!