What are the advantages of choosing UE4 over Unity?

Hi there I was reading something regarding built in frameworks.

In that you have to buy a framework on Unity store to actually get started but in UE4 you could start creating a side scroller immediately?

So looking for some pros and cons of both

UE4 has some templates that you can start off from along with free game examples. Unity doesn’t really have as much like that. There’s some substantial things in Unity that you would have to buy solutions from their asset store–for example, their UI system has always been incomplete or very basic whereas UE4 has a complete UI system integrated.

Ok thanks so you would say picking UE4 as my first Engine is the better choice? I am now beginning learning. I read the C++ in UE4 is easy and it handles all memory management etc

I am going to build something simple like a side scroller shooter.

Also why does my post keep saying it needs a mod to approve it.

Pros. and Cons.

I learn step by step towards UE4 and reason 1 is Blueprints and 2 is full source code for future proofing, i do not want to waste my brain for engine that is closed. I like software that can be modified 100% if there will be need someday.

ooh no I have a 3.8 ghz core i3 haswell which is equivalent to a 3.0 GHZ core i5 and 8GB RAM and a GTX 1060 FTW+ which is equal to a GTX 980

I think I should be fine as far as PC Specs are concerned since I can play Tom Clancy’s The Division on Ultra which is the most demanding game

On Unity, after months of work someday you’re going to open the editor and you’ll see this happened to all your game objects scripts:

Soon you’ll realize how hell looks like…

On Unreal 4, you’ll work for months and someday you open the editor just to see something like this:
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/288215/100-blueprint-project-corrupted.html

Immediately you know, it’s that hell moment too.

So… I’d say pick the one which works best for you with text based assets and always version control, do as much as you can through code and compare which one has more stable editor tools.
After 6 years engaged with Unity and 2+ working on UE4, I know what is best for me. Find yours :]

Well I just don’t want to waste my time learning both. I have never programmed before so I am just starting out with a book I got.

So I think I will go with UE4 C++ which sounds like the safest route.

I heard of Cry Engine etc but that is likely for big studios and people who know what they are doing.

Question do you need any additional software like illustrator/photoshop to design a game

I spend 3-4 years on Unity 4/5 and now I’m back on Epics Unreal Engine 4 for several months.
And I fell in love again with this Engine. After years in Unity finding out that this Engine offers no proper needed features or editors, Unreal looks like a paradise to me.
Yea this makes Unity maybe more flexible in some cases (or easier to learn), but in the end I prefer a Engine that has anything on board to make great games.
In Unity you have to spend money in the Asset Store to fill out the gaps of the missing features … in case you have no team with the needed skills to fill out the gaps.

I dont want to blame Unity, it is a great Engine. And I respect anyone who is working with this Engine, but it is definitely the wrong engine for me (at least in the present state).
In the truly end, you have to find it out for yourself, what is your right Engine.

The interesting thing is that in the latest version of Unity, they’ve begun copying aspects of the UE4 UI, into Unity (or so it seems) The one that immediately stands out is the orange tint, and outline of objects. I suppose they hope to visually close the gap between the two.