What and How: Editable Mesh

I have searched extensively for information about Editable meshes, and I just can not find any.
If anyone knows of any tutorials, documentation, informative articles, or any information in general about what editable meshes are, what they are used for, and how to implement them, please post a link or leave a comment!

The following contains what I’ve attempted using EditableMeshes:

First I attempt to turn a static mesh into an editable mesh, then I attempt to create vertices with IDs, and arbitrarily set their positions, I then attempt or organize the Vertex IDs into Edge IDs as that could be useful information for me.

The result is nothing being rendered, and there doesn’t seem to be a node that indicates rendering or creating a mesh. (I would expect something similar to ‘Create Grid Mesh’/‘Create Mesh Section’) The main thing I’m finding is that there are few nodes that actually associate these ID structures with actual data of any kind, the only one I can see is the “Set Vertex Position” node, and potentially “Mesh Element Attribute” structures, (once you go deep enough down the rabbit hole of ID structures) but due to the lack of documentation it is impossible to know what data you would be filling a “Mesh Element Attribute” with…

Construction Script:

PrepareMesh function:

CreateVertices&IDs function:

CreateEdgeIDs function:

what exactly is the use case here?

It seems to be something in addition to the procedural/runtime mesh. So you can generate geometry at runtime or in the editor. But there is a lack of documentation over it.

1 Like

you can look here to see the built in functionality for the editable mesh, i agree with @sebmoorea this is so you can edit mesh at run time

Yes they do seem to be intended for generating, organizing and editing geometry at run-time. The problem is that they imo are non-intuitive for this task. They are tied to “Mesh Descriptions” (zero documentation also) and “ID structures” (what a surprise, zero documentation as well). I am going to update the question with some more information about what I’ve tried to make it work, for more context.

The use case is having better control over the organization of the vertices of a mesh compared to a procedural or static mesh.

I make it work in the 4.25.1 .

That is my blueprint setup.

306318-13.gif

My Example blueprint cannot extrude the same polygon index twice, it will crash the Engine.

I make it work in the 4.25.1 .
It looks like you got it to extrude a polygon of a static mesh by polygon index of that mesh, correct me if I’m wrong.
That is awesome it is great to know how at least part of the Editable mesh system works. I will have to try this out myself and see what I can figure out with this new information!

Are you currently using this in a project? Or were you just trying it out?

Maybe have a look at this website:

1 Like

I found some info on this website. From a quick look, I think this is the person who wrote the tools.

1 Like

This changes your static mesh, which I was not expecting. I’m seeing the same behavior in 4.26. I want to create a curtain using a spline on the top where the curtain height can change and the ground height beneath it can change as well. I thought I could just create spline meshes and then extrude those, but this doesn’t seem to be the correct approach after all.

1 Like

Did anyone figure out how to get this to work, or an alternative?

1 Like

I ended up using a procedural mesh for this. The tutorial below got me what I needed.

For a procedural mesh, you have to build it vert by vert, triangle by triangle, and uv by uv. But for what I needed this wasn’t too bad and was incredibly important. I created a spline on top and a spline on the bottom and then walked along the two splines and created the geometry that way.