Hi, I’m a complete beginner. I’m able to use Blender and I’ve studied programming (not in an expert level), so I want to face the game engines. I’ve watched some UE4 tutorials and I have learnt things for sure, but they’re all separated and I want to understand how to “locate” them in a workflow.
My questions are related to 3D, third person videogames. Just think to a videogame like the old Tomb Raiders, as structure, where you climb and jump in a precise way, pick up items ecc.
Some questions that I have, as noob, are:
- When I create models on Blender, what is the correct level of segmentation of the objects? I mean, how much it’s better to import, for example, an entire house as entity, with all its shapes and details, instead of separated objects? And why? Since I want to let the character to climb on any 90° degrees ledge with a sufficient offset from the wall, is it better to separate as much as possible the objects before importing?
- What is, generally, the priority list when creating a videogame? I mean, I have 3D models, I have textures and normal maps, so all is ready to be imported. Well, “when” it’s better to create the materials? And “when” it’s better to create the environment? And “when” to associate the animations to some reactions? And the lights?
- What are the most common errors for a beginner, in terms of managing the project (not in detail)?
- What is the advantage of using C++ instead of the Blueprint? I see the option while creating new projects but I can’t understand what is the limit of the Blueprint that should make me decide to use C++, instead.
- What could be some preliminar suggestions to start with the right management of the hardware resources, avoiding wastes of memory? I know the logical concepts (or… “values”) of a powerful programming and I would apply them where I can, it’s only that in UE4 I don’t know exactly where I can. What are the most heavy elements in UE4, that consume space in the hard disk and need some smart managing? And which ones consume the RAM for the most? I am talking about the imported elements and also the involved features of the game engine in a project.
For now it’s all.
Thanks in advance