Weird stuff happening to my screen when launching unreal engine

I have recently got a new laptop, I transfered all my files to the new laptop but now when I launch a project it disorts my screen temporarily from time to time as shown in the picture.This issue is temporarily fixed by changing tabs and then going back. However, sometimes it will cause pixels to distort/blurr on my screen; which requires a restart.
Is anyone able to help me fix the problem?

Thank you for your time

1 Like

Laptops often throttle performance under many circumstances which can cause graphical bugs, if you have a laptop with an Intel processor along with a dedicated GPU (like Nvidia) you’d need to make sure that it is set to only use the dedicated GPU and not the integrated Intel GPU to get the best performance in UE4. You can set that in the Nvidia Control Panel under the 3D settings to use the Nvidia GPU as the global default. Also make sure you’re using the laptop plugged in or go into the power settings and set things to Performance.

Thank you for your response.
The Nvidia Control Panel was already set to use the dedicated gpu as global settings and even after changing the settings to performance (in Nvidia and battery settings) the graphical bug still appears. I tried setting UE4 specifically to use the dedicated GPU as well and my laptop plugged in. Even then the bug still happens.
When the bug happens I notice in Task Manager that under GPU engine it usually switches from gpu 1 to gpu 0 and vise versa when the bug happens.
For reference I’m using an rtx 3060 and a i7-11800H with 16gb ram.

I have also discovered that when I disable my integrated graphics card’s driver it doesn’t crash (at least not that I have seen) but unreal engine starts running extremely slowly.

Yeah, so the issue was that it was still trying to use the integrated GPU for some reason. Changing the global setting in the Nvidia Control panel should have done that, but you can do like you did and disable the Intel GPU as well

Well like I said it seems to fix the bug. However, it starts running extremely slowly so that doesn’t seem like a plausible fix. (If I turn the integrated driver off I get about 4 fps in unreal; I also tried running unreal with only the integrated driver and it runs even slower, so I don’t really know what it’s doing). Do you know of another fix, or is it possible that some reset of unreal engine will fix this?

Sometimes it crashes now, so I looked into the log and it has this error: [ 39]LogWindows: Error: Error reentered: Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/D3D12Util.cpp] [Line: 684]
pResource->Map(Subresource, pReadRange, reinterpret_cast<void**>(&pData)) failed
at D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12RHIPrivate.h:1181
with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: 887A002B
I don’t know if it’s relevant or not to the error but I don’t have a D drive.

What are your system specs?

I have a core i7- 11800H, GeForce RTX 3060 and 16 gb ram. My laptop is running on windows 10.

I tried to reinstall my graphics driver as I saw that that could work. Sadly it didn’t work.

Update: I tried different versions of unreal engine. Nothing seems to happen with “the old launcher” as in I tested unreal engine 4.22.3 and it seems to work fine. Any version after that has the glitch and crash.

Maybe waiting for UE5 and hoping the internals are sorted or maybe even remade with fixes. Sad that you need an older version. I used to be happy with Unity 2018 when 2020 was out. UE5 isn’t long coming. I would like for UE5 to work fully for you.

Nowhere have you stated that you checked the invidia drivers installed are the latest - so you should probably do that first.

Don’t wait on ue5 - it’s only just been worse than 4 so far performance wise.

For the driver I downloaded it directly from Nvidia’s website a couple of days ago so I’m assuming it is the lastest one.

I guess I’ll have to use the previous version of unreal for the moment being. Hopefully there will be a fix soon… I might try doing a clean reinstall of unreal engine soon and see if that fixes anything.
Thank you for the advice given so far.

@RoVd14

Instead of rebooting, try windows shift B or whatever the key combo is to refresh/restart the graphics driver.

If the problem goes away, the issue is the physical card, or the driver.

If it remains as is, then the issue is being actively caused by the program… (But then it would go away when you quit unreal and reset the driver, technically).

I tried doing that, the problem didn’t go away. Which is weird because the graphical glitch happens to my entire laptop when I move my cursor. However, it stabilises as long as my cursor doesn’t move.
Weirdly enough when I press Windows+Ctrl+shift+B it takes a lot longer when the bug happens (but doesn’t fix anything).

If it’s actively caused by the program then hopefully it will get fixed when I try to do a clean reinstall.

I can confirm that the problem is raising then GPU changed from dedicated to integrated and vice versa. Setting a default GPU for a system or application directly doesn’t work, the system still swaps GPUs from time to time as I understand some process of power optimization (even when charging is plugged in and the system is set in max performance plan). Is anyone found a solution? How do force the system (win10, laptop) to stop switching GPUs? (disable of integrated GPU lead to system bugs with the web browsers and lags in the engine, it’s not a solution). Question possibly more relevant for MS forum but only UE engine lead to such screen bugs and possible we can change the default behavior of GPU usage by the engine to stop blurring all system and black screening.

Changing the default screen refresh rate from 240Hz to 60Hz works for me. I’m still observing GPUs swaps but with 60Hz it won’t raise this bug. I hope it will help someone.

1 Like

Ok, here this little trick out that will most likely fix your issue with unreal AND with older games. Found this recently. A decade of not been able to play some older games I liked. You don’t know how i hate knowing that option was there and I didn’t knew about it.

Ok ready?

right click on desktop, chose Display Settings. The Microsoft Windows Setting menu will show up. Scroll down till you see the text “Graphic Settings”

Click on it

low and behold a graphic Settings window will show up. use the Browse to chose an app you want to have it run on a particular GPU. Add it to the list then hit the Option button and set the GPU you want to use.

This is not the same as using the nvidia control panel. That Morrowind game didn’t wanted to work when setting the preference in the nvidia control panel. But works as butter when setting the option in this menu.

1 Like

@dorusoftware sad but this method didn’t work for me with unreal engine editor:(

reset all nvidia driver settings, do a clean install. you may have set global flag that interferes with unreal.

That thing with screen and things becoming pixeleted is happening to me. For some reason it is not happening when I connect my laptop to a monitor(laptop and monitor screen are used at the same time)

I haven’t had the opportunity to use Unreal Engine much lately but so far after having changing the settings in Graphic Settings I haven’t seen the bug. Thank you very much. Once I go back to using UE more I’ll post an update.