Weird jitter in VR when Camera Moves

Hi Everyone,

I’m currently developing a VR driving simulator in 4.23 and ran into a very weird effect that only shows up when you are wearing the VR Headset not in the preview window Essentially what happens is when i move the vehicle forward (The player camera is in another BP attached to the Vehicle pawn as a Child actor, if that matters) a weird bubble like effect appears all around the geometry, and no line looks straight but once i return to a standstill everything goes back to normal, I’ve looked online a bit and haven’t been able to find a solution.

I’m relatively new to developing in VR so idk what the issue could be, if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

It looks like it’s going through a car wash that is starting to tear through the fabric of space/time into the car! It appears to be a collision issue, and possibly combined with a bounding box problem. To check the bounding box problem, go to the Show button in viewport, then to Visualization, and check “Pixels Out of Bounds”. Look it up in the doc pages too by doing a search for that visualization option, “Pixels Out of Bounds”, because it describes how it works. It appears that the bubbly / grey pixels are getting pushed inside the bounds of the vehicle. Is that the color / texture of the sky? or surrounding geometry in the level? or is it not there at all until moving the vehicle?

I’ve found a solution, based on this post,

[Solution Post][1]

Turns out, that if you can’t keep and acceptable FPS SteamVR will do some smoothing and cause that effect to happen, I scrapped my scene and made a new one with less detail and i no longer get the issue while using the headset.

SteamVR? is it run via Steam web site or launcher? I think Epic’s launcher interferes with FPS and even compiling shaders and updating things. I don’t understand what the problem is if I’m hardly doing much. I noticed this in CryEngine too, with the launcher open while working in the editor. I think processing power / RAM is getting prioritized wrong between the engine and the launcher. Sometimes, updating is super fast and other times it is like I’m trying to use a 486 computer or something.

Try setting Scalability settings to all High instead of Epic, and there is probably going to be a speedup. In addition, I noticed a significant speedup from changing the display resolution of the computer from its maximum to 1-2 levels lower resolution.

We are using the Vive Pro and SteamVR to get our project running, you may get harder bluring in UE4 because your game is running in preview instead of standalone dropping the FPS because the editor layer is still running , however I think this issue is platform agnostic because it’s something happening in the SteamVR API so any engine that implements it would have a similar issue while wearing the headset(Can’t confirm do).

Thanks for the tip do, I had forgotten I can drop scalability settings, I might’ve been able to save the level I scrapped if I had thought of it sooner lol.

Weird. I was guessing at a number that’s not in the lottery win results.

My fix ended up being to set the collision response channel of WorldDynamic = overlap (was block), on the motion controller pawn’s CapsuleComponent. This may not be the only channel which needs block turned off, depending on your needs.

It could also be your capsule half-height not matching the HMD.