Weird Glow on Arrow Component in Packaged Game

I have added an arrow component to my main pawn to indicate the direction it is facing. My pawns are not human, they are just spheres and cubes so for now I need a way to make facing direction clear.

I have the arrow component set a Visible in Game and everything works fine when I run standalone or in PIE.

The issue is when I run a packaged game. When I do this I get this super bright glow around the arrow component. I do not have any post processing going on at all. The red glow is extremely bright and annoying. I have tested with arrows of other colors and the glow always matches the arrow color.

Any ideas? I’ve tested this on a brand new project using the third person template and attaching an arrow and I get the same results.

Have you tried adding an “unbound” Post Processing Volume to your scene, turning on the Bloom “Intensity” tick box and setting it to 0 just to be 100% sure that bloom is being disabled at runtime?

Hi Antonthetree,

This has already been reported with UE-28649 and is a regression that needs to be fixed. It’s a problem with the Arrow component that causes it’s brightness to get brighter at certain angles and is not directly a post process issue.

As a workaround I would suggest making your own simple arrow static mesh to use instead of the Arrow Component.

As a side note, you mention that you do not have any post process used in your scene, but just for clarification whether you add a post process volume or not there are default settings that are enabled for any project created that are used. Sometimes to troubleshoot these types of issues it’s best to add an unbound one and adjust some settings under Bloom, Lens Flare, and Auto Exposure to rule out other things going on, as Krxtopher suggested.

Thanks!

Tim