Weird "double refraction" in window glass at acute angles

Hello everyone,

I’ve got a question in regards to UE’s refractive material options and window glass. I’ve got a window glass pane that is around 3mm thick (so esssentially a very thin cube) and sits inside a frame. The struts of the frame are considerably wider than the glass, so they protrude on both sides of the glass pane.

My problem is that at extreme viewing angles (looking at the window frome an extreme side angle), there suddenly seems to be a second frame behind the window. You can see this in the screengrab comparision below. This is obviously a quirk with the refraction functionality inside UE.

I’ve watched a lot of tutorials and read through this forum, but none of the solutions seem to fix my issue. Attaching a color node to the normal input of the glass material does help in cancelling this effect, but then all refraction is gone, which is not what I’m after.

Maybe there’s someone who could help me with this? That’d be great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there, has anybody got any suggestions on this issue? Would love to hear about it :slight_smile:

You have to set the value for your refraction very low in the glass window material. The default works for wine glasses etc. But not for flat windows.
I find this tutorial helpful. He has some more about glass on his channel.

1 Like

Hey S-Dot, sorry but I only saw your reply now. Thanks so much for the information. I’ll check out the video as well!