Weird bug with blueprint components not keeping references

I have this weird bug with blueprints i create using skeletal mesh or static mesh components, basically when i add the bluepirnt to the level and try to change the mesh asset, the mesh gets correctly added to the level and i can see its materials getting added to the component, but the mesh in the detail panel of the blueprint doesn’t change, remaining empty or keeping hte default mesh i set in the blueprint.
It acts slighly different for skeletal and static meshes, for skeletal meshes the blueprint detail panel doesn’t update while for static meshes it does, but for both if i try to print the name of the mesh asset in just keeps whathever i set as default in the blueprint.
I’ve tried this in different projects and different editor versions, both from the epic launcher and compiled from the source code; I’ve reinstalled the engine, the launcher, visual studio and also tried a clean reinstall of windows, and also tried both blueprint and c++ projects, the issue is still there.
Only possible cause i can think of is hardware compatibility.
I’ve also tried to isntall the engine in different ssd’s but with no luck.
I have recently upgraded my pc but can’t tell for sure if this issue started with the upgrade; this is my current build:

• CPU i9-14900k
  • GPU Gigabyte Windforce OC rtx 2080 Super
  • MOBO Rog z790-E wifi II
  • RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR5 128Gb (4x32) 5600 Mhz CL40
  • SSD Crucial T700 4TB PCle Gen 5

Not sure what else to try honestly, I will be running the windows memory diagnostic tool to see if the problem could be there.

I’ve noticed unreal like to reset components to their default mesh/material at runtime, one workaround would be to clear the default mesh, use a set node on begin play for the mesh, and add a reference variable using expose on spawn to select the desired mesh/material when placed in the editor