Weapon Master VR Support Thread

Yeah, i saw the find look at rotation node while experimenting and got it to work but there is an issue. The problem is the yaw value changes when i physically rotate my head or body so the gun spins as well.

I am setting relative rotation so i am not sure why this is happening.

Just to clarify, should i be getting the world location for the two controllers or the relative location? Should I be setting the world rotation or relative rotation?

I assume relative for both answers, not sure why headset rotation is effecting it.

You should be getting world location of the two controllers, headset rotation shouldn’t effect anything anyway though.

Yeah I figured it out. I feel kind of stupid now, it was so dead simple. It works really well too! Stacking the controllers a bit really gives you good control.

Thanks so much for your help! Also thanks so much for all the tips you provide people here as well your awesome VR template!

Requoting you since I think we have added what you are looking for now!

I am going to put up a video tomorrow or sunday highlighting some of the QOL improvements I have made since adding in stabilization.

Will you be adding a scoped rifle with zoom capabilities in future updates? :slight_smile:

Right now the ACOG scope zooms. Are you asking for multi-zoom optics? As in a single scope that can have 1x, 3x, 8x zoom that can change on the fly? If so the answer is Yes, but it wont be until we add in bolt action rifles. I intend to also create a muti-zoom scope that will allow you to change it zoom level by interacting with one of its knobs. I have no idea when that will be though. Version 1.4 is the target but that might get pushed back one update.

Thanks for the fast response. I was thinking something with multi-zoom like you described. Or, possibly a set of binoculars if you’re up for it.

I’ll see what I can do for the first update. Any scope can be used as a monocular btw :stuck_out_tongue: .

Hey everyone, I have been struggling the past few days to polish off the two handed aiming. Right now the big issue, that I didn’t notice at first, is that I cannot get right hand wrist roll and rotation based on left hand position to play nice with each other. I dont have a video for you right now, but I will tell you what I have added in or fixed recently:

• Fixed the logic for magazine weapons that had the bolt locking back when empty and no magazine (guns only lock the slide back if the magazine is loaded and there is no ammo).
  • Reworked recoil logic to be way simpler and more adjustable
  • Reworked inventory so that the inventory spaces will turn green if you can holster or unholster something. This makes it WAAYYY easier to use the inventory (no more guess work and dropping!) These changes include the bullet/mag inventory as well.
  • Fixed a bug where you could have multiple attachments in one slot.
  • Stabilization with the offhand now turns off late update so that aiming through sights is easier (less jittery and lag is not really noticeable).
  • There is a stabilization skeletal hand mesh now that is part of the gun. It gets set to visble and not visible depending on if you are stabilizing or not. (This is the very beginning of our hand animation for guns system)
  • Added in initial attempt at two handed weapon handling. Pitch and Yaw works fine but wrist roll isn’t currently working. (still needs a lot of work)

I will be gone on vacation wed-sun of this week so I likely wont be around. When I get back I expect the final push for version 1.0 to be a couple weeks. Adding in a few last minute features has pushed submittal back but I think it will be worth it for you guys.

So quick update, after changing up how our gun hierarchy works, and a bunch of help from mitch over on the VR boards, we have figured out 2 handed weapon handling. I should have a couple new videos out tomorrow and I will be starting on the example levels on sunday.

Weapon Master VR 1.0 is now feature complete and we are in the final stretch for submittal. Once the example levels are complete and we squash as many bugs as we can I will be sending WM off to epic.

Updated with new video.

A little tip for you. I can see in your video the guns are clipping into the camera. Go to project settings, general settings and change the Near Clip Plane from 10 to 1. That will get rid of the clipping in VR. Really looking forward to this release though. Insta buy for me.

Weapon Master VR looks incredible! The 2-handed stabilization system looks really natural. Great work!
I am going to be buying this for sure.

I am working on a VR stealth game, I put this prototype together using 's VRExpansionPlugin and his example template for the pawn and all its interactions:

I would love to use Weapon Master VR for it’s Recoil/bloom and other features. I hope you get many sales!

Any updates on the progress of the weapons system?

Actually yes, a brand new video!

The example level is almost done and we are getting really close to submittal. This weekend we should be finishing up recording the sounds and possibly finishing the example level. I will be doing at least one more in depth video before submitting. When we submit we will release the trailer showing off the example level and other new stuff.

We are also using 's plugin for our game. Sometime in the future I plan on doing a tutorial showing how to merge Weapon Master into his plugin. Its going to be a doozy of a tutorial though, and likely wont be until we get a few updates into weapon master.

Really exciting stuff Brad, the whole system and the weapon interactions look really polished. Attention to detail is really impressive. The use of separate skeletal meshes per part sounds great. How about inserting and ejecting mags - how much work is involved in adding a custom magazine mesh to the magazine actor and having it properly insert/eject from the weapon body?

For 1.0 (launch) magazines are going to be quite simplistic. There are 3 skeletal meshes (the mag mesh and 2 bullet meshes). If you have more than two bullets in the mag both bullet skeletal meshes will show, if only 1 bullet one of the bullet it meshes will be hidden, if no bullets both will be hidden. Setup for magazines is super simple as well, providing you have the meshes, all you would do is duplicate one of the existing mags, indicate what type of bullet it uses, set up all the meshes/sockets, and tweak a few variables.

While this system works it is less than ideal for me, but in interest of getting weapon master out sometime this decade I will look to improve upon magazines in the first couple of updates. For one I want to go away from the UMG wiget for bullet counts. They hog performance and are a crutch (see through mags or mags with peep holes are more realistic). In the future I want magazines to actually have all of the bullets in them physically and simulate the proper spring movements per shot. I will leave the UMG counter in as an option for those with sci-fi games or feel they need it. Since Update 1 has sort of ballooned out a bunch the magazine updates probably wont make it in until update 2.

BTW, attaching the mag to a weapon is actually handled by the guns. There is a specific socket on the gun that will tell the mag where it needs to lock too. Right now there is no collision between the mag and the guns while you hold them in your hand, but I hope to have that changed in the future.

My first tutorial is going to be making a magazine firearm from one of the marketplace available guns (likely one of ironbelly’s) and that will include magazine setup. In the future we are going to sell “Weapon Master Ready” firearm packs that are modeled by our actual artist (who is **** good). The guns currently in Weapon Master were modeled by me and, well, yeah, I am no artist, but they work for examples :P.

Hey everyone, just a heads up. Example level is done, we are just doing clean up and bug testing before submittal. Should have a new in-depth video out soon and submittal following that. I have updated the OP with new info as well.

Very exciting news. The 1st post lists an initial price, it seems very low for what the pack contains. I hope it becomes the VR weapon system. The idea of selling “weapon master” ready firearm packs in the future is great. Imagine if other studios like Ironbelly updated their packs to to be “weapon master Ready” too? didn’t imagine the 1.0 release would already have finer details like the 2 bullet meshes in magazines - that’s crazy. Eagerly awaiting the release!

I feel the price is pretty fair to start off with, but we do plan on raising the price after some of the major updates. Also, its nice that the asset is a Trojan horse for the high quality weapon packs we have planned(which will be perfectly usable without weapon master as well).

The way mags work right now is a comprimise but works well. The future will see mags with animation to simulate spring movement.

i was working on this exact same system from the ground up but i’m fairly new to things so seeing this brings joy to my face. can’t wait to get my hands on it so i can progress with my game plan. is there a rough ETA on first release? also i saw you mentioned price will go up. if i purchase the first version, will i have access to future releases for free? or would i have to rebuy?

thanks for the great work!