**The UE part of the launcher has not changed much, if at all, since the very first versions of UE4, a long long time ago. **
And back then, it was fine as it was. You only had a few versions to select between, and very few of us had any significant number of projects or downloaded assets from the marketplace.
Now, I can’t speak for anyone but me, but I suspect the situation is the same for many more, in that now I have built up a number of projects over the years in various states of completion. This also includes things such as your example projects that I wish to keep around for reference and learning.
I also have been guilty hoarding assets from the marketplace, adding many of the monthly free things to my collection, an as such it has grown exponentially the last few years.
At this point, my UE Library is like a garden filled with weeds. I keep getting numerous “An update is available” notifications, but it’s too cumbersome to locate the assets that have the small orange circle in the corner and update them, so I just leave everything as it. Would be nice with an “update all” button. Or just to be able to really delete assets that I regret buying and adding to my library.
For my projects, all of the projects are mixed, with all versions showing. Again, it’s sometimes hard to find just the project you’re currently working on in such a huge grid of them.
It’s nice that we have search, but sometimes you forget just which assets you actually have, and thereby also their names, especially when you have this many, and it’s then that it’s vital to be able to browse efficiently.
But yeah, not only is the sheer number of assets to wade through to find what you are looking for a problem, but the entire launcher is CHUGGING when displaying that page. I’m talking 5fps here. It feels horrible. I don’t know if this is because of the number of things there now or if there’s another reason for this.
The entire thing really needs an overhaul to be pleasurable to work with again, so here are the solutions I would suggest:
Engine Versions, My Projects and Vault
- Add filter for installed/not installed
- Show as list instead of grid
- Update all button with confirmation screen on what will be updated and maybe total size
My Projects and Vault
- Filter by UE4 version (check all installed versions that you want to see projects for)
- Sort by Alphabetic or UE4 version
- Click an eye symbol to manually hide specific projects. Have checkbox for “Show Hidden”
- Ability to permanently remove assets that you never are going to use again. (For example because they aren’t updated any more and you have better options now)
- Ability to group by marketplace category, so you can for example expand your “2D assets” group and find all things relevant for a 2D game there.
Thanks for attending my TED talk.