warning for music composers and producers when registering their music to YouTube Content ID

Recently, I faced a problem where a client purchased my music from the Unreal Market. However, the client did not intend to use my music in their game project. Instead, they wanted to use it in their YouTube video. Unfortunately, when they tried to upload the music to YouTube, they received a copyright claim from my music. This is because two years ago, I put my music on the Hawk Content ID service to prevent unauthorized stealing of my music.

To help the client, I logged into my Hawk Content ID service account and tried to put their channel on the whitelist so that they wouldn’t get any copyright claims for their purchased music. However, it looks like Hawk rejected my request to put their channel on the whitelist and sent me this message.

“Your ability to whitelist channels and request claim releases or manual claims will be made available to you once your copyrights have met the $100 per quarter payment threshold.”

According to the Hawk Content ID service, once the copyright claimer makes $100, I will have the ability to get the whitelist option. This is frustrating because they did not inform me of this system when I first registered my music with them. If I had known about these rules, I would never have registered my music with their content ID system. Why should I register my music with them if I don’t have any control over my composed music?

also , they have a contract for 3 years to keep my music in their content ID system. So, if I request them to remove my music from their content ID system, they tell me that my contract is still running, so they will not remove my music for now. However, my music tracks have been queued to be removed in March 2024, which means I have to wait 2 months to completely remove my music from their content ID system.

Currently, I am using a good content ID service provider where I have full control over my music. I’ve posted my problems to a forum so that every music producer needs to be very careful when signing up their music to some unknown content ID service provider, or else they will face problems like mine.

Thankfully, I didn’t register all of my music catalog with their content ID system.

2 Likes

Hi @MerajMelody .

I’m curious as to what content ID service you’re using now that gives you full controll

Currently, I am using the Content ID service of Sepulchral Silence, which is a music distributor. They have a Sonusuit content ID system that works well. The best part is that they don’t have any restrictions when it comes to undoing or removing copyright claims, or adding a channel to a whitelist. This is particularly useful for me as a lot of my music is sold on the stock market, and I have to deal with many copyright claims from the client’s side. So far, my experience with Sepulchral Silence has been good.

Bookmarked. Thank you for posting. I hope everything works out for you and your customer.

Thank you. I hope to have the copyright claim resolved soon, as it could have a significant negative impact on my business.

1 Like

Can I DM you?

I’m also getting into music/beat leasing/selling.

Would like to know how you do this through Epic marketplace.

Sure, you can send me a direct message. I will do my utmost to assist you.

1 Like

Cool, Thanx!