Warning, Class can't bind to DLL

Since I started using DllBinds in my game, occasionally when I compile I will get this warning (well it’s an error really):

Warning, Class ColdGame.MyClass can't bind to DLL C:\UDK\UDK-2014-08\Binaries\Win64\UserCode\mydll.DLL

When it happens I just need to re-save one of my .uc files and recompile and it goes away. It’s getting a bit annoying though.

Has anyone had this problem, or know what might be causing it? The DLL is configured properly to my knowledge and works (when it compiles without the warning at least).

I see this warning all the time, and it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with reality, the dll code runs normally.

Hopefully it doesn’t turn into some kind of problem at release, but I doubt that since I plan to ship a completed install of the game as is standard nowadays.

@ciox are you saying you’re dll’s still work even when you get this binding error. I haven’t actually tested that. Seems like they wouldn’t though…

did you make a 64 bit dll? when you run the 64 bit exe to start the compile you will see that warning if you do not have a 64 bit dll in that folder. We have that warning if we try to compile when we run a 64 bit exe as we only made a 32 bit dll. So we use the 32 bit exe so it uses or 32 bit dll and no warnings.

Yes, I use DLLs to download text data from my server, no issues.

Huh, I thought compilation takes place through UDKLift.exe which has only one version, presumably 32-bit.

No. Changing how UDK imports files–or which files it can import, or using new file types–would require access to the C++ source code. DLL binding is for accessing a function that’s inside a DLL file. File importing isn’t really the intended use case.

I guess it could be done. But you would need access to the C++ source code to add functionality to Cascade.

If it can be done, it probably requires a lot more work than finding a magical DLL to handle it all. You found an article that describes how Spicy Horse implemented fluid simulation in Alice: Madness Returns. I’m sure they had access to UE3’s source code, and not just the UnrealScript customization allowed by UDK. But if you wanted to see how far you can get with UDK, you should just try it. What have you done and how far have you gotten?