I have recently started game development after a long hiatus. Previously I used Unity, but as I am starting out again fresh, I thought I would try the other two big engines, Cryengine and UE4.
I have been using Cryengine the last few weeks, and I am becoming increasingly frustrated with it, hence why I now want to try UE4.
I am making a simply open world game, nothing massive, but there will be various landscapes and interiors to explore. Cryengine has the landscapes covered (I really like the TOD), but I cant stand setting up interiors, plus I find the interface and navigation extremely fiddly and annoying.
Now for the questions:
- My laptop doesn’t have a nvidia or ATI graphics card, but is pretty decent otherwise Quad i7, 8GB ram, Would UE4 run on this?
- How easy is it to create landscapes?
- I use Sketchup 8 free to create my buildings, can these be imported in to UE4?
- Can open world games be created in UE4? If so, how big?
- How easy is it to set up a building with interior? In cryengine you have to specify visareas and portals, which I find frustrating.
- Can you setup fog/weather effects in UE4?
Thanks for looking.