Walking on or in moving or stopped vehicle? Using blueprints?

so whats your question? are you having the issue of the player not staying on the truck? you mentioned force and bouncing so thats what it sounds like but its really hard to tell. or maybe your having a collision issue.

Hello and thank you for your time, i apologize for any inconvenience that my post may cause, but ive come across a problem i need help with. I was wondering how i could get my character to walk around in a vehicle… You know like on a trailer or inside the trailer of a semi-truck or rv whether it’s being moved or not… Because when I walk on a vehicle it bounces around a bit erratically and I have too much force on the vehicle and am able to move it easily while walking on it or into it. I greatly appreciate any insight on the matter!

i dont really have an answer to your question as its much more complex than you expect. however you should know that game engine physics arent designed to be realistic. they are made to exaggerate physics and therefore are not suitable for real world simulation. now that doesnt completely apply to your individual situation but its something to be aware of.

Thankful for the reply. I guess my question is how do I get the vehicle to have a more realistic reaction to the character walking on it. Like when you step into a rv it may shake a little, my vehicle right now is moving in reaction to the character walking into it and when it’s walked on it tends to want to flip or roll on its side. Sorry for not wording it the best but it looks like my character weighs something like an elephant trying to walk on trailer and the trailer wants to wiggle and roll under its feet. It walks on it, but not like a 200 pound man walking on a heavy duty truck chassis. Hopefully that will describe my issue a little better. Again thank you all much.

thank you, Sorry for the over the top question… As I found a pretty concise answer through redit. If anyone else is unaware of an answer look up my question there! Don’t Let a hard find Stop anyone reading this from Achieving the desired effect!

What I would do is to have two different collisions in the vehicle, one would be the physics asset collision, this one would be simple and convex, just what you need to ride the vehicle, but inside the vehicle bp I would disable the collision reaction to the player, then also inside the bp I would make custom collision for the player to walk inside the vehicle, that should do it I think, because the player would be able to collide with the vehicle but not apply any force to it since the collision he is touching does not simulate physics and the vehicle collision itself does not answer to the player collision.

Though this is what I would do for the van, I have already tested another technique that works:

Add a physical material to the player capsule or to the vehicle collision (I tested it in the player), after that disable “Enable Physics Interaction” in the player movement component, this is a much simpler way of doing it and should work better, though it may have some side effects if you have other physics objects in your game.

1 Like

Your great Man, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge!