Vulkan status

Hey , we’re first fixing additional bugs on ES3.1/Mobile before we get to SM4, so that roadmap might not be accurate anymore. Definitely sooner rather than later!

Side note, integrations to master from DevRendering go around every week…

Are you fixing ES2 by chance too? (HISM doesn’t get any lighting on mobile and foliage doesn’t render at all)

Hi motorstep, I’ll let the HISM guys know.

Thanks a bunch!

Here are bug reports for HISM and foliage:

Plans for Vulkan on Linux?

Hi Epic, any update on @Yaakuros Pull Request to enable Vulkan on Linux?

Unfortunately there was no motion on that pull request yet.

@RCL @duva That Epic will have a motion on this matter can be doubted. There is never a motion when it is about the GNUX(GNU/Linux) platform since they decided (trello) that the support for GNUX is “Finished”. There will be no motion on that pull request from my side either as you can see I closed it because I am tired of begging EPIC to merge stuff. If someone needs it can ask me privately. I have already another working version.

Vulkan SM5 support was scheduled for July on the Roadmap before todays Roadmap update, now it’s on the backlog again. Why? I was really exited about soon being able to use that :confused:

They are too busy sucking up to M$ which they believe is the only OS in existance…

To be fair, the only OS on PC where games make $$$.

Correction, you mean more money.

yeah, like 98% more money than Linux for example.

At least we don’t have to deal with things being shoved down our throats at gunpoint.

It’s always been about ideology vs real world. To each their own. More people use Windows and game on Windows, so that’s where money is and that’s where primary focus of developers is.

Hi , we still are working on SM4 & 5 support, however as mentioned in another thread, we had to rewrite a big chunk of the RHI for robustness. We’ve also been being held up by driver issues causing GPU hangs, crashes, etc. We also have to keep up with regular Engine releases and bug fixes. We’ll get there!

Also next week during Siggraph I’ll be presenting the current status, challenges and plans for the Vulkan implementation on UE4. It will be also available on youtube as well as the slides, check out updates here: 2016 SIGGRAPH - The Khronos Group Inc

Ok, thanks for the update. When do you expect UE4 to have full Vulkan SM5 support? Will Vulkan replace DX12 on PC then or will there still be reasons to use DX12 over Vulkan?

Thanks for mentioning that, I’ll definitely watch it on Youtube when it’s available :cool:

We don’t have a firm date, just that we’re working on it :slight_smile:
Our main use for Vulkan is Android; our main use for D3D12 is Xbox. PC will use either, but hopefully more Vulkan as it can run on Win 7/8 machines.

Here are the slides of the keynote and here is the video. Epic games starts around the minute 24

I’ve watched it on the livestream, but thanks for the link to the slides, didn’t know about that! :cool:

It was very nice but also very technical, and I’m happy I don’t need to understand that low level Vulkan stuff and UE4 will do all the work for me :rolleyes: Thanks Rolando, can’t wait to see Kite and Paragon running in Vulkan!