VSTs and Puredata

Hello,

I want to use generic Vsts (via JUCE) and Puredata patches (via libpd) inside UE BPs. Do implementations for that exist already, or are on the roadmap for the Audio Engine team?

Greetings,
Christoph

No, you’d have to write some code to host that in UE4, but it’s doable. Something like that would definitely be a cool feature for UE4 and we’ve considered doing it, but that’s a bit down the line as we have many more “bread and butter” things to do first.

That said, such a thing should be easily doable in a plugin now and sellable on the UE4 marketplace or direct. There are a number of pathways now that you could take. It could be you load the libpd dll and runtime, then on the pd generated output, feed it into a USynthComponent if you want the pd patch to be a single 3d source or feed it out of a submix effect if you want to do surround sound. Same is true of a juce host.

Great to know.

I also need to accomplish something similar. However, I need to use an external VST plugin as the sound decoder for Unreal, in order to make it render Higher Order of Ambisonics.

That’s part of my Master’s degree and I’d hope to be able to do it without needing to reinvent the wheel. There are a couple of great open source VST Ambisonics Enc/Decoders out there, such as the AmbiX and IEM suites.
Hopefully, we would be able to integrate them with some work.

Thank you for your attention, Aaron.