VS Express 2013, Win 8.1 - Incompatible Solution

Dear UE4 Team,

I encountered a nasty problem when trying to open the solution file in VS Express for Desktop 2013. This is one of the error messages I get:

Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\BlankProgram.vcxproj: The application which this project type is based on was not found. Please try this link for further information: Visual C++ Project Types | Microsoft Learn

This goes until the project.

Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\UnrealPak.vcxproj:

including:

Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\UE4.vcxproj: The application which this project type is based on was not found. Please try this link for further information: Visual C++ Project Types | Microsoft Learn
Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\UnrealFileServer.vcxproj: The application which this project type is based on was not found. Please try this link for further information: Visual C++ Project Types | Microsoft Learn
and
Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\UnrealFrontend.vcxproj: The application which this project type is based on was not found. Please try this link for further information: Visual C++ Project Types | Microsoft Learn

Any idea how to fix this? Problem is that if I open it anyway, I can’t see the source code of Unreal Engine 4. It says UE4 (incompatible).

Thanks a lot,
Markus