VR Valve Index finger curl input with OpenXR

Hi,
we are currently trying to implement finger curl input from the valve index controllers to curl individual fingers of the virtual hands. In the past this was possible through the “Get Finger Curls And Splays” node provided by the steam VR plugin, but this has been deprecated in favour of the more generalized OpenXR plugin for some time now.

What I dont understand is how to actually get the curl values of each finger through OpenXR. I was expecting some sort of replacement for the deprecated “Get Finger Curls And Splays” node or being able to bind individual fingers through the Enhanced Input System, but i cant seem to find anything in that direction. Maybe im just missing something obvious, but i have been stuck on this for over a month now, maybe somebody can point me in the right direction or knows how it works?

Thanks in advance,
Florian

Hello,

you need to have OpenXRHandTracking plugin enabled and then you can get the data from hand tracking.

My approach was to iterate finger tips and get distance from palm, determining the curl.

You can do splay a similar way, just look for the finger deviation alongside the correct axis.

You can take a look at my implementation here > GitHub - iNFINITE-CZ/UVRF3: Interaction Toolkit for XR apps using UE5

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.