VR Pawn is falling through the floor

So I went from Unity to Unreal 5 with my project. I was able to transfer my whole level into the engine with some issues that I was able to fix. However, I am trying to get my VR character to move around the level using Smooth Locomotion. After many tutorials I was able to find out how to get it done. But, the VR character (or I guess VR Pawn for this project) constantly goes through the floor, stops at some point where I see the map I built above and to the right, and whenever I move using the thumbsticks, starts to fall again.

I am checking to see if it has something to do with my world settings or if its something with the VR Pawn and how I set it up. I tried to see if maybe I could use a different plane actor instead of the one I have for the project, but it still does the same thing.

I am new to Unreal and trying to piece things together. I have been trying to search for a fix and I canā€™t seem to find anything.

If anyone can help but requires more info then let me know.

Hello Turtle, Welcome to the Forums,

I wonder what the collision in your level looks like. (Collison is usually handled per-mesh)

Take a look at the Player Collision viewmode to see if itā€™s what you expect!

Very interesting. So I just checked and it looks like there is no floor in Player Collision, but on Lit the floor is clear. I look into it more to see what I can do with it. Let me know if there is anything I should look out. I appreciate that, I still have a lot to learn.

I was able to just create a new plane and this is how it looks now. Its all black and I am still falling off the map. Still going to see what is going on with it.

Thanks for checking,

Iā€™m also scratching my head as to why a plane is showing black in that viewmode (The default engine plane does have collision, but maybe since it is ā€˜Zero Thicknessā€™ the view mode doesnā€™t display it in teal.

Do you still fall through the floor if you use a cube instead of a plane?

Yeah itā€™s the same when I use a cube. Itā€™s very strange too. Sometimes I fall straight down, and sometimes Iā€™m kind ā€œpushedā€ off to the side and fall. Sometimes I even stop mid way, Iā€™m able to walk around and then fall again, all while outside of my map. Iā€™m trying to describe the best way I can, I think next time Iā€™ll record it.

Hm, the next thing Iā€™m wondering about is how movement is being applied in the VR pawn/character. (Also I wonder if anything inside of the pawn is colliding with itself and causing it to be pushed in weird directons)

This community tutorial is the best one Iā€™ve seen for setting up a robust smooth locomotion pawn.

So the good news is I was able to have a floor with collision. The bad news the VR Pawn still seems to be flying off the map. I donā€™t know what is going on. I saw the tutorial provided but it does not help at all. I tried the player start pawn too and nothing. I canā€™t help but get frustrated because I see tutorials and they work fine, but when I try to use them in my project, it does not seem to work. When I used Unity the camera never flew anywhere, it actually stayed where I placed it. I have no idea why this is still happen. If its the camera not staying in place, its the interior pawn not staying in place. The video shows what I am dealing with. I also have a screenshot that shows my floor has collision. I am using the VR pawn from the VR Template.

I finally figured it out. It had something to do with the environment. It seems that there was some type of invisible walls that were causing my character to be pushed. Not only that, when I checked the Player Collision, they only appeared when I look in a certain direction. Once I was able to delete the invisible walls my character was able to finally move freely without anything stopping it.

1 Like