VR Developement for Oculus quest 2

Hello to everyone,

i successful compiled a bunch of apks for the oculus quest 2 with UE5 and i found some problems.

The VR template runs very well launched directly onto the quest 2 but anything else more complex makes my APK crash or running really bad e.g. the image is not clear, makes some visual bumps like a PC that runs a game that cannot run.

I don’t know wether the problem is in light building or meshes complexity or something else…since the VR template runs pretty well I don’t think that the problem is in the unreal engine settings.

Maybe it is better to compile APK with UE4? Any clues about to solve this problem?

Thank you very much, your collaboration is very much appreciated.

I’ve been building with vr expansion plugin incorporated and it hasn’t crashed.

Its important that ogl is disabled and only vulkan is on

I have a vr project with about 20 asset packs in it and I can load maps from every pack into the quest with only a couple exceptions where I have to tweak the main levels

The Quest does not like ws position offsets
such as foliage wind
It does not like transparency, it will not render many particle types, doesn’t like fog sheets, doesn’t like atmospheric fog.
virtual textures do not work with quest
dynamic lighting slows it down with more than 3 lights
etc…

1 Like

Thank you,

I will try to use only Vulcan and also simplify meshes, I noticed that are over 2milion triangles probably this will solve part of the problem.

I can confirm that building on UE 4.27 oculus fork is fine
Built different projects with different assets and animations and everything was ok. There are issues with performance in some cases but it is a different topic

1 Like