"VisualStudioUnsupported x64 must be installed" trying to update a project from 5.3.2 to 5.4.1

Hi! I’ve just downloaded 5.4.1 and I’m receiving this strange error if I click “Switch Unreal Engine Version” in the right click menu:

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_5.4/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Build.bat  -projectfiles -project="D:/_Unreal/UnrealProjects/HOWL/HOWL.uproject" -game -rocket -progress -log="D:\_Unreal\UnrealProjects\HOWL/Saved/Logs/UnrealVersionSelector-2024.05.01-19.07.36.log"
Using bundled DotNet SDK version: 6.0.302
Running UnrealBuildTool: dotnet "..\..\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.dll" -projectfiles -project="D:/_Unreal/UnrealProjects/HOWL/HOWL.uproject" -game -rocket -progress -log="D:\_Unreal\UnrealProjects\HOWL/Saved/Logs/UnrealVersionSelector-2024.05.01-19.07.36.log"
Log file: D:\_Unreal\UnrealProjects\HOWL\Saved\Logs\UnrealVersionSelector-2024.05.01-19.07.36.log
Log file: C:\Users\Ares\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log_GPF.txt

Generating VisualStudio project files:
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project...
Total execution time: 1.95 seconds
VisualStudioUnsupported x64 must be installed in order to build this target.

I’ve tried to delete all the unnecessary folders inside the project and rebuild it, change the engine association manually in the .uproject file but it just doesn’t work.
Should I install a specific version of visual studio?
I’ve also had issues with another UE5.4 project, it was compiling perfectly fine in 5.2 and 5.4 but in 5.4 I get this strange error saying: error C4668: 'ENGINE_MAJOR_VERSION' is not defined as a preprocessor macro, replacing with '0' for '#if/#elif', since “ENGINE_MAJOR_VERSION” should be a valid macro, I guess there is something wrong with my installation or with the latest unreal build tool ('cause I have no issues with previous engine versions)

Thank you in advance!

You need visual studio 2022 with the latest updates to work with 5.4. The newest version is 64-bit only.

I’ve been using visual studio 2022 since before it was officially supported by UE and it’s up to date and using the latest version, I really don’t know what could be happening here :sweat_smile:

And… this was the issue! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I had to delete the file I was using to force VS2022 with UE 4.27 (I even posted it as solution here), this means it’s probably time to remove 4.27 from my pc :sweat_smile:

EDIT:

After being able to change the engine version I had another error saying:

UnrealBuildTool has banned the MSVC 14.39.33519-14.39.99999 toolchains due to compiler issues. Please install a different toolchain such as 14.38.33130 by opening the generated solution and installing recommended components or from the Visual Studio installer.

I had to install a previous MSVC version (MSVC v143 - VS 2022 C++ x64/x86 build tools v14.38-17.8) and I was finally able to compile

3 Likes

Hi to all. I trying to convert project from 5.3.2 to 5.4.1. And all time get error.

//--------------------------------------------------
Project files could not be generated. Log output:

Running D:/UE/UE_5.4/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Build.bat -projectfiles -project=“.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
Using bundled DotNet SDK version: 6.0.302
Running UnrealBuildTool: dotnet “…..\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.dll” -projectfiles -project="
.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
Log file: C:\Users\iNOD\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log_GPF.txt

Generating VisualStudio project files:
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project…
Total execution time: 2.72 seconds
Targets with a unique build environment cannot be built with an installed engine.
//--------------------------------------------------

Where i can find what i needed to install for VS2022?
This is my installation config.

This solved the issue for me:

1 Like

This finally fixed such a perplexing issue for me as well. It was mainly down to deleting that xml file and letting unreal remake it.

Really odd since if I made EGS verify my install of 5.4 (and after the update to 5.4.1) it’d generate the project files fine and even let me compile. But the moment I go back to 5.3 and then forward to 5.4 again, it’d come back with this same VisualStudioUnsupported error.

Time to remove 4.27 as well until some project forces me back again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.