Visual Studio Build Fails on Vanilla Project and New Class

Hello all,

I’m an experienced software developer just getting familiar with UE4 and MSVS 2013. I’ve set up a game to mess around with and followed the tutorial for setting up my environment and creating a new class. The problem is when I build the solution it fails to link. It’s not a problem with my code, it appears to be a problem with the way its trying to build/link the project files. Here’s the tail end of the build log:

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ““D:\Unreal Engine 4\4.0\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat” Experiment_Lab Win64 Development “D:\Unreal Projects\Experiment_Lab\Experiment_Lab.uproject” -rocket” exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

The Solution Configuration is set to “Development Editor” and the Solution Platforms is set to “Windows” (for some reason there is no Win32 and Win64 platform available). I suppose I could try to reinstall MSVS again but this is tedious and I really would like to know what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks!

Sorry about that. From the tail of the log there isn’t enough information to diagnose the problem though. Also, for problems such as this I’d recommend using the AnswerHub site, so that we can track your issue and provide you with support faster. (It notifies us when you reply, for example.)

Can you paste more of the log from your compile?

–Mike

Hi Mike,

No worries, I know you guys are probably crazy busy post-release so I appreciate the reply.

Here we go:

1> Experiment_Lab.cpp
1> HelloWorld_Printer.cpp
1>D:\Unreal Projects\Experiment_Lab\Source\Experiment_Lab\HelloWorld_Printer.cpp(16): error C2653: ‘Super’ : is not a class or namespace name
1> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
1>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: D:\Unreal Projects\Experiment_Lab\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Experiment_Lab.pdb
1> Cumulative action seconds (8 processors): 0.00 building projects, 14.14 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.00 linking, 0.00 other
1> UBT execution time: 18.08 seconds
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ““D:\Unreal Engine 4\4.0\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat” Experiment_LabEditor Win64 Development “D:\Unreal Projects\Experiment_Lab\Experiment_Lab.uproject” -rocket” exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Sadly, that’s it. I press Build and after a few seconds I get that spit out. Please keep in mind this was also happening on my desktop at home too so I really don’t know what to make of it. If you’re curious this is MSVS 2013 Pro.

Let me know if you need any more info, please.

Thanks!

~~ Nate

Edit: I realize there was a error with the void BeginPlay(), I did go back and correct this (void AHelloWorldPrinter::BeginPlay() ).

Ok now I’m confused: It builds successfully now. All I did was exit MSVS and re-launch it and it works. I even made some changes to this test actor class just to be sure, rebuild and it compiles without error. :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the help all.

Glad it is working now! :slight_smile: