Visual Studio assist / automation

Just started using Visual Assist (Whole Tomato) and willing to try and compare a few “assist” solutions. I can’t give an honest opinion on Visual Assist yet in such a short time but I can say it shows a lot of commentary without providing the automation I am actually looking for.
I’m curious what else is out there that does the following to improve the c++ experience:

• ! Automates header includes for common UE without including a set like CoreMinimal.
  • Does not show unnecessary tips / commentary / style changes
  • Does not hijack my keyboard typing, it slows me down as it creates mistakes.
  • Gives suggestions where UE lacks documentation.
  • Gives suggestions where VS lacks everything.
  • Browse to file in solution explorer from the file tab panel.
  • Close all / expend all on solution explorer.
  • Automatically checks / fixes property initialization.
  • Gets rid of Intellisense errors because VS does not understand UE.
  • Automates fixing typing mistakes in variable / class / method names which are obvious.
  • Simplifies the output log since VS can spit out 400 lines for an error which can be explained in 5 words.
  • Automates VS project file generation when a directory is modified externally (file moves).
  • Fixes spelling mistakes automatically (also in comments).
  • Suggests optimizations (reference usage)
  • Suggests or const usage on methods
  • Access specifier improvement suggestions?
  • Automate UFUNCTION macro addition whenever I bind a method to a delegate and forget to add this in the header.
  • Automate UPROPERTY template so that they automatically get the Category and Tooltip meta in a format I specify.
  • Automates core redirects.
  • Suggest module loading order so that core redirects don’t silently nuke the Blueprints.
  • Automate obvious fixes that VS should not even notify me of.
  • Does not hang for a minute when I right click a class and navigate to its header because VS is “waiting for an action to complete” which is unacceptable.
  • Suggests improvements to reduce header and module dependencies.
  • Provides a way to automatically implement files and classes, Example: “create plugin module [insert name]”

Suggestions very welcome.
Right now I just want to get rid of the annoyances and avoid wasting time on things I call bllsht which I am allergic to. I’m not working with a team, else I’d have a few other demands. In short, I’m looking for automation which actually speeds up my work. External tools are welcome as well. If I hadn’t found the tool Agent Ransack (file scanner) I’d have lost weeks if not months of time with VS already. The right tools do make the difference

Resharper is a plugin like Visual Assist you can use in Visual Studio or you can use Rider which is an IDE that includes Resharper features.

Rider features for Unreal Engine recently went out of beta and offers a lot of helpful features for Unreal like giving a reference count to Blueprints and a shortcut to open the Blueprint from the IDE.

1 Like

Wait, It maps references from .uasset files?? that would be epic.

Yes when Rider is used in an Unreal project it installs an Unreal Plugin in the project that helps with stuff like linking with Blueprints.

1 Like

Rider looks pretty cool. Setting it up was quick, though it didn’t really migrate every setting from VS 2022 (like keymaps). some basic functionality is actually worse than VS, like the quick “right click > toggle cpp / header” is missing and while accessible from a menu it gives you a silly message that the “action is getting ready” hell preload it if it’s such a task *Edit hit F12. The user interface occassionaly goes unresponsive as in the toolbar buttons light up on hover but don’t do anything on click. this same unresponsiveness happens occasionally on critical features such as the code inspect window at which point you have to restart the app. The code inspector however is incredibly useful and also notifies you when a header file is unused which is what I use Rider for right now… Still toggling between VS and Rider. Would love to have header files include automatically somewhat the way the UE “IncludeTool / HeaderTool” was supposed to do but isn’t since the documentation on it is missing.

Bump, suggestions and more epic timesaving feature knowledge are welcome

Made a theme for Rider so it looks more familiar to me:

Here's my Jetbrains Rider theme (Dark, improvement)

Well, it would be a good idea to warn everyone that visual assist has not been correctly tested for Unreal Engine 5.2 / Visual Studio 2022.

After hours of trying to get it running, it still gives chained popup error messages, forcing me to repair Visual Studio.

1 Like