Visual Studio 2013 Express: vcpkgsrv.exe going crazy

I’m having an issue with my UE4 code projects, where every time I build the project, the intellisense messes up and creates a new process without shutting down the old intellisense process (vcpkgsrv.exe), or something to that effect. Each instance of vcpcksrv.exe takes up about a half gig of memory. If I’m not mindful, I’ll forget to manually end those orphaned processes and they will consume all of my memory (which causes a huge memory dump followed by every process having to reload their working memory from disk). This becomes especially problematic when building a UE4 project which uses a lot of memory itself.

I tried to uninstall / disable visual studio plugins, but that didn’t fix the issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? Were you able to resolve the issue or does everyone just have to work around it?

My environment:
Engine: UE 4.6.1
Visual Studio: 2013 express

i had this problem as well, i recommend upgrading to visual studio community: http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

its visual studio pro with indie friendly terms:

Here’s how Visual Studio Community can be used in organizations:
An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.

For all other usage scenarios: In non-enterprise organizations, up to 5 users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1 Million US Dollars in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

TLDR: its free as long as your don’t have 250+ team members or make more then $1,000,000

This is actually a problem with your intellisense settings. If you close those processes they just reopen.

Go to “Tools->Options->Text Editor->C/C+±>Auto Tune Max Cached Translation Units” Set it to false

Now under the same place set “Max Cached Translation Units” to 2 since that’s the lowest possible value.

That will limit VS to only launching 2 of those processes at a time instead of like 7 of them or something. Your horrible performance issues should now go away since all your RAM will stop being eaten up by intellisense.

Thank you very much. This is the problem in every version of Visual Studio 2013. I use Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Update 4

Thanks for the fix illYay. My machine flipped right out, and I saw all those vcpkg things. I need more ram!

thanks it is much better now here too :slight_smile: (and thanks for Google to put this thread at 1st place)

in VS2013 Community: Tools → Options → Text Editor → C/C++ → Advanced → “Auto Tune…” and “Max Cached…”

In the end you can always:

#!/usr/bin/python
import psutil # run cmd: "pip install psutil"
import time

def Clean(p):
    p.kill()
    print 'Headshot'

while True:
    print '.'
    [Clean(p) for p in filter(lambda p: p.name() == "vcpkgsrv.exe", psutil.process_iter())]
    time.sleep(15)